Broome


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
August 11th 2011
Published: August 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The first thing we did when we got to Broome was look for a place to camp. We set up camp in the PCYC overflow campground. It was hot and dusty. We drove to where nan & pop had accommodation. We had fish and chip’s on Cable beach and watched the sunset. The next day we dropped nan & pop off at Gantheame point for their 10 day sailing cruise, then Ash, Dad, and I went fishing at Town beach. We were fishing for ages and the seagulls were stealing our bait. Then dad’s surf rod started to bounce like crazy. It took dad ages to wind it in but eventually he got it up on the bank. It was a golden trevally. That night we ate it for dinner. It was delicious.
Back at the PCYC dad and I were given rissoles and custard for playing for the crowds. We did some shopping the next day and we also had to have our Typhoid injections for Borneo. We had for a BBQ on cable beach with Mal and Liz and some of their friends.
Then we drove north of Broome to Quondong, where we stayed for three days. We met our Tasmanian friends there and the four boys (Ash, Edward, Will and I) spent about 80% of the daylight hours playing with the hermit crabs on the beach. We finished our stay in the Broome area with 2 nights at the Broome bird observatory out at Roebuck Bay. There were birdo’s and twitchers everywhere. It was really peaceful there.

NEWSFLASH
While we were staying at Broome there were major protests and demonstrations against a company called Woodside, who plan to build a huge gas hub (the second biggest in the world) at James Price point just north of Broome. We stopped at the protest site and talked to the protesters. There are a lot of unhappy people around Broome.
I wrote a letter to the federal environment minister in Canberra about why I don’t think the gas hub should go ahead.
If you would like to help protect the Kimberley from heavy industry you can find out more by visiting these websites:

www.environskimberley.org.au

www.savethekimberley.com




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



13th August 2011

howdy guys....
good to hear your goss. youre all nutters :-)

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb