Bungle Bungles - Fitzroy Crossing


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
August 14th 2010
Published: August 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sat 14th Aug. - We finally made it to Broome this afternoon after a 400km drive from Fitzroy Crossing.

Our flight and 4WD tour of the Bungle Bungles from Turkey Creek, on Wednesday was spectacular. The photos don't do it justice at all. We had a walking tour of Cathederal Gorge, the entrance of which was used for the most recent QANTAS advert. See if you recognize the location in the attached snaps. The drive out of the area was very rough and it took two and a half hours to travel 58km!! We even spotted a couple of dingo's along the way.

We had a long drive to Fitzroy Crossing on Thursday, approx 480km, and Rose did 200km of that. She's become very confident at towing the van, although her lead foot is a bit of a concern at times. Luckily we had a strong tail wind which makes a huge difference to fuel consumption. We did a cruise up Geikie Gorge on Friday. The gorge was formed by micro organisms which secrete lime which, over time, formed the massive reef back in the Devonian age. The photos show the average height of the Fitzroy River, during flood. We saw heaps of freshwater Ccrocs along the banks.

To date we have travelled about 8,500km. The average cost of diesel has been about $1.60/L. The car is averaging, 17L/100km, which isn't too bad considering the weight it is pulling. The worst we've had so far has been 22L/100km after a strong headwind. The twin 90L fuel tanks have been a real help, as we are able to fill up at more populated towns and hence, get cheaper fuel. Some servo's are charging $1.90/L!!

We had our first Broome sunset tonight - magic. We stayed a bit too long and struggled to find our way back through the dunes to our caravan park.

Whoopee! we have also, finally got full phone and internet reception again. Can't recall the last time we had both. We are in Broome for two weeks so if you want a chat, give us a call.

Cheers

John & Rose




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



14th August 2010

Dongoe's huh?
(YOu may want to censor this :) ) See any babies as well? - yes, I'm the sick one this time! Still bloody jealous. Hey - if I promise to leave Jenny at home, do you want a driver?!

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb