Cable beach heaven?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The drive to Broome has to be one of the most boring drives done so far. The road is one long, dusty, straight road with flat terrain either side. No hills, no real scenery just flat monotonous plains. The annoying thing is that the sea is only a few km to our left according to the map but we can’t see it. We limit our driving to an hour each to try and brak up the monotony and it also eats up the kms - at least their speed limit out here is almost nonexistent (what I mean is that its 120km/hr!!!) We stop briefly at a roadhouse to get some more petrol but as petrol tends to be far more expensive outside of the towns we only fill up with enough to get us to Broome (or so we think!) The petrol light comes on with 40km still to go and we start preparing ourself for the worse (will someone stop, do we hitch into town..) As luck would have it though there is obviously a huge amount of petrol left between the petrol light coming on and you actually running out as we make it to the turnoff for Broome which is about 7 km outside of the town(and luckily there is a petrol station there)
We get a camping spot at the Roebuck Bay caravan park which looks out across the beach and park up. Its weird as in most of the main places that we’ve been to there are no free camping spots near the towns...sort of defeats the idea of having a campervan when we have to keep paying to park it up!!! After giving the van a quick hose down, as its caked in red dirt, we wander down to the beach where the sea is a really weird cloudy turquoise colour and then head into the town. As its Sunday most things are closed so we wander back and chill out.

The following day we drive round to Cable Beach and are struck by a vision of miles and miles of endless white sand and blue sea...absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful. We can see why its named as a top 10 beach in the world!! We spend the afternoon sunbathing and swimming before heading back later in the evening. As we get back so late its dark and, as John tries to fill up the vans water reservoir in the dark he falls down the hole by the water tap and goes over on his ankle. I know its not good as I come running out and find him on the ground in agony. My first thought was that he’d broken it but after managing to get him up and in the van realise its probably only a sprain. I wrap it up the best that I can with cold towels and raise it up, hoping its not going to be too swollen in the morning...(a day of long driving ahead of us!!) Even though John keeps saying its ok i can tell from the pain that he’s in that its not. Dose him up on ibroprofen and leave him to rest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb