Broome and Cable Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
April 14th 2008
Published: April 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Broome and Cable Beach



Broome was a melting pot of Aboriginal, Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian and European Pearl divers and today the Pearl Industry is still thriving. Broome is only a small town but has become paradise for travelers along the West Coast. It is a very, very relaxed place-so much so that everyone lives by ‘Broometime’ where things happen slowly it’s almost backwards!

Cable beach is the main attraction. It stretches 22km along the coast with pure white sand and clear tropical waters. It is rated as one of the best beaches in the world and we fell in love with it. The contrast of the deep red rocks next to the white sand and turquoise water was spectacular and the sunsets we postcard perfect. North of the rocks is Nude beach where locals drive their 4x4’s along the beach and set up with music and eskies for a day of nudy rudy fun. I met a couple of girls at the beach and we all decided to join in the fun with a nude walk along the shore. It was a strange sensation but very liberating, you never know maybe imp a nudist at heart!? We watched camel trains as the sun went down then had a drink in the local wine bar. Our nights out in Broome were a good laugh which usually ended with a midnight dip in the ocean.

There is a breathtaking natural phenomenon known as the staircase to the moon which happens two days either side of the full moon. People some from all over the world to see this, and attempt to photograph this mysterious sight. When there is a low tide the rising moon is reflected off the rippled mudflats which create an optical illusion of stairs reaching to the moon. People have tried for years to photograph this but it never does it justice, and Photoshop is always used in advertising so I was on a mission! Unfortunately it was a very cloudy night and we were disappointed not to witness this phenomenon, but we had a memorable adventure on the way home getting lost in the dark escaping a miniature dog with a giant yelp!

We stayed at the Last Resort which was a very chilled hostel, the management was so friendly and the whole place had a family atmosphere. We got to know lots of travelers and workers all happy to have a drink at the bar try new and interesting cocktails and have a go on the duke box. Aly and I stayed a whole week in Broome which gave us the time to top up our tans and watch the waves everyday whilst we caught our breathe before heading down the West Coast!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

SharleneSharlene
Sharlene

Disappointed there was no Staircase to the Moon :-(


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb