Bedknobs and Broomesticks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
September 9th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We're still here!! At the moment we are Wwoofing on an organic farm about 25 kms out of the town, complete with 3 kids, a dog called Patch, lots of "chooks" (chickens!), and lots and lots of vegetables! This farm is actually run as a business so it makes it a bit different to the last place, but we're having fun and it is strangly therapeutic to work on a big area - you can get really into pulling out weeds (I'm not going strange, honestly!). So far we've picked chillies, lettuce and pumpkins, collected lots of eggs and watched a lot of Home and Away - it's on prime time here - they love it!! We also get to sleep ina real bed with a real duvet instead of our airbed (which likes to deflate during the night, meaning that if one of us gets up in the middle of the night the other is chucked into the air) in a caravan with a pet mouse!!. We get most afternoons off so we sometimes head into town and go to Cable beach, Broome's famous stretch. It's pretty nice and it's the first place we've been able to swim in the sea! Up north they have Box Jellyfish which don't get on very well with humans! Ben likes to throw himself into the waves and bodysurf, but I seem unable to do this and instead get pummelled onto the sea floor and swallow tonnes of water - not so fun! But it's not a bad life, our routine for quite a few days before we started Wwoofing was to wake up early, bum around for a bit, head into town, buy some lunch, eat it by the beach, go swimming, read, head back to the campsite and cook dinner - it's a hard life!!

I have to be off now cos the internet cafe is closing - but just before I leave you, a few nights ago we had the honour of coming face to face with Australia's second deadliest snake! We heard a rustling in the leave behind our caravan, and after orginally dismissing it as mice, Ben went to check it out. It was a huge snake, but the weird thing was it was coming slowly towards us instead of scarpering as they usually do. Ben then bumped into Steve, the Dad of the family, and told him we'd just seen a snake. After describing it, Styeve ran off to get a torch and a spade and Ben helped him to gruesomly slay the beast, whacking it on the head a lot of times and then cutting it in half!!!!)(Don't worry, Ben did no whacking or cutting!) The horrible thing was that it's bottom half was still wiggling! We took some photos of the bloodshed so you can all share it...! The next day, as Ben was picking pumpkins with Kylie (Mum), they saw another one! So they came straight back to the house to put a spade and a shotgun in the boot - the gun as extra backup!!! All very exciting stuff.

We're finishing here on Wednesday when we will either go up north to stay ont he Dampier Peninsular with an aboriginal community, or more likely start our journey down south. It would be great to go north but it's starting to get really hot now and we're starting to suffer a bit, our English bodies are reminding us we're not used to the heat!! It's only going to get hotter - aaarrghH!!!


Advertisement



9th September 2007

ugh!
you don't say what you did when the snake came towards you! Bid Ben bump into Steve literally whilst running away??!!
12th September 2007

Snake attack!
Hehe no, Ben wasn't running away - he was just going to the loo!! When it came towards us we made "oooh" and "look at that!" sounds, blissfully unaware the thing could kill us!!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb