Great Ocean Road - Day 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Torquay
January 10th 2009
Published: January 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Picked our hire car up at 10am and headed to Torquay. Our first stop on the Great Ocean Road. Chris got to do his first Hook turn in Melbourne as we were leaving - due to the trams in Melbourne, if you want to turn right, you have to pull over to the left, wait for all the cars to go by, the lights to change to red, then pull out to the right! Very weird feeling!
Torquay is about 1hr30 from Melbourne. The coastal road takes about 5hr30 from Melbourne to Warrnambool.
We stayed at the Foreshore Caravan Park and had to pay a whooping $50 for one night in our tent! But everywhere was full, we ad no choice! We set up camp and headed into the town to get food supplies for the week....yes, pasta, rice, sauces...our wonderfull camping diet! oh and don't forget the sweetcorn!
We then went up to the "Shopping"area. Torquay is known for it's factory outlets for all the sports names, Quiksilver, Billabong, Ripcurl, Reef etc. They sell clothes really cheap, alot of the places was under $40! But you do have to rummage to find something decent! Chris got himself a t-shirt and i at last found a hoodie - i have been getting quite cold at night, they have been saying it has been the coldest december here in years! Just our luck!
Once back at camp, we walked along the coast. Walked down to Jan-Juc, a 1.5km walk, to half moon bay and bird rock. It was very windy but great for the many surfers that were here.
Walked back, read our books for a bit then had dinner. We got to watch a weird chinese/american cook show whilst we were in the camp kitchen - very odd!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb