Back Home


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Portarlington
October 7th 2010
Published: October 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi folks,
Back in Portarlington and getting into the swing of work and school again. It's been a busy week readjusting to being in our 'roomy'house and looking out to the colours of spring in our backyard: jasmine, Blue Pacific, bluebells and vegies still thriving in the garden. We did have some help courtesy of Alison's Mum before we returned. Nice to be home, but already missing the places we went to.
We arrived in New York on a Saturday afternoon. It was warm and we had a good introduction to the city as the bus went down 5th Avenue through Harlem and then the Art Gallery district to the Port Authority building in 42nd street. We were in the heart of the city, lots going on, we walked around looking up like classic out of towners. Our apartment on the upper West Side was on Amsterdam Ave, an extension of 10th ave. Our bedroom window overlooked the street and so it was noisy but atmospheric at night. Across the road was a famous restaurant- Sara Beth, around the corner was a great gourmet supermarket Zabar's where we shopped and where I bought bagels each morning, in the cafe attached to it. Just up the road on Broadway was a huge Barnes & Noble bookstore where I made some purchases, two blocks north was the Children's Museum, and two blocks east was Central Park. We had a lot of great things on our door step and so we did plenty of walking. The girls held up ok, occasionally Ruby needed to be carried, and one day the girls and Alsion caught a pedi-cab home the last few blocks.
It was wonderful to be in a city that seemed safe and easy to negotiate. We found the people friendly, especially when they heard our accents, even a drunk in Central Park was having a joke with us about Steve Irwin. We bought passes for open top buses and a City Pass to the galleries and a boat cruise down the Hudson. In fine weather these would have been great value, but we did have some wet days there and so couldn't get the best out of the bus tour. But we did a night tour of downtown and across Manhattan Bridge to Brooklyn. This was a great sight, to be driving over the bridge and be looking back at Manhattan at night, office towers gleaming, Empire State and the skyline. It was a great way to get to different neighbourhoods of Manhattan, as we didn't have time to get back to Greenwich Village or Chelsea. We also did a tour uptown, went past The Apollo Theatre in Harlem where James Brown has played. Visits to the galleries were a must, and we managed to get to the Met, Guggenheim, MoMa and Alison went to the American Folk Art Museum. The Met was good, but extensive and we only spent an hour or two there. Some of the galleries had floors closed as they were preparing for new exhibitions and so we missed out on seeing the abstract expressionists at MoMa. But the building itself is worth going to, in the heart of the city with huge windows opening up to the office towers and streets. The Guggenheim is also an amazing building with its curved walls and small alcoves. One funny moment occurred when we walked into a small gallery space where there was an installation that had broken glass scattered over the carpet of a room that also had book shelves and a desk. It looked just like someone's office after a bad fight. A guy walked in behind us, took one look at the broken glass and said to the two ultra cool gallery assistants, oh, what happened here? The assistants said ít's an installation'', as if the word itself can explain everything that pertains to be art. At MoMa there were 4 haybales stacked up with a gold ring somewhere in the middle- someone else's installation, and good hay going to waste. But there was a lot of good other art, a Matisse show at MoMa in particular.
We walked back from the Guggenheim through Central Park and I had to pinch myself that I was actually doing it. There are many different parts to the park, peaceful ponds, an Alice in Wonderland statue, which the girls climbed over, Sheep Paddock with the great views of the buildings rising above it. There are also many roads going through the park, and joggers, and men running behind prams.
We also went up the Empire State building. My fear of heights preventing me from getting too close to the railings, but great views of the city in all directions. We also hit Macy's, a huge shop. Levi jeans were so cheap- $40.00. We all bought up there. We ate in some nights which was good after a long day walking around the streets.
If we weren't walking we were often catching cabs downtown or back to our apartment. They were cheap and quickly enabled us to see a lot of the city in the days that we had. It was a glorious day last Wednesday going on a boat cruise of the Hudson, the towers of Manhattan gleaming on our left, New Jersey on our right. So many different parts to the city. It is tempting to move there and put up with the small apartments, but I know I would miss my space here in Portarlington. Alison and I have resolved to return and stay downtown, whenever I have another grant.
We also went to Tiffany's and made a modest purchase, a bit light Holly Golightly. Even though it represents some of the worst excesses of capitalism, I loved the energy and madnss of 5th avenue, especially at peak hour. Times Square was another weirs and full on place to see. The blaze of neon is so strong that there is a glow that greets you about a block before you reach the square. So much advertising, buildings lit up by oversized images of actors, and the people sitting at every availble seat below the signs looking up, dazed, yet trying not to appear impressed by it all. We took a photo outside the American Forces recruiting shop.
Now, I have to try and not forget all the wonderful places we went to. It wont be too hard, and I am thankful that we all made it through unscathed. I am hoping that the girls will get a lot out of the trip in months and years to come. Already it has been interesting to hear what they remember, what crops up in their conversations. They are still a bit tired from the plane trip, Ruby especially. We were rewarded though on our return, as we arrived back in Australia on the morning of the Grand Final. Collingwood was playing and we were able to watch them win in the afternoon. It wa a dream come true. To Anne and Chris in Toronto, who copped some of my barracking at 6am 3 weeks ago, last Saturday was the reason for my shouting. To all our friends who we stayed with overseas, a huge thank you for letting us stay in your houses and for being very generous with your time. It was great to see you all, and for our girls to be able to play with your kids. Now that we have seen your houses, we can easily imagine the lives that you are living over there.
I may put some more photos on this website in the future, so have a look whenever you are reminded again.

Adios

Thanks and happy reading.

Brendan


Advertisement



8th October 2010

portarlington v new york
Much to be said for home and its roominess! Great to read about your trip, guys... best from Max
8th October 2010

Happy homecoming
Glad to hear that you all made it home safely. Sounds as though you had a great time in NYC - it is an amazing place to visit. Hope the flight back wasn't too much of an ordeal. And, I have to say, congratulations on the Collingwood victory. If they beat Geelong, then they deserved to win the Grand Final! love to all, Anne

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb