Day 19


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Fairy
February 25th 2011
Published: February 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In Line for the Sorrento to Queenscliff FerryIn Line for the Sorrento to Queenscliff FerryIn Line for the Sorrento to Queenscliff Ferry

We managed the early start to line up for the Ferry crossing
Early start for breakfast to leave at 7:15: am to line up for the Ferry crossing from Sorrento to Queenscliff.
We lined up with the other vans and cars to await the arrival of the ferry. It came in on time and unloaded and loaded in a matter of 20 mins, quite impressive.
The trip across takes 40 mins and cost $91 in total for the vehicle/caravan and 2 passengers. Not bad value compared to driving all the way up the Mornington peninsular, through Melbourne, down through to Geelong etc. So for relaxation and peace of mind we considered $91 good value.
Ready to drive off the ferry and the Car and van in front didn’t move. He had a flat battery; the staff attempted a jump start, that obviously didn’t work because they ended up pushing him and the van off by hand.
We set sail and made good time, we had decided to head to Colac and avoid the Ocean Road, we have already done this by car and figured that to drag the van around in convoy with all the other vans, was a bit pointless.
We made Colac in good time and stopped off in Maccas for
Port Fairy JettyPort Fairy JettyPort Fairy Jetty

The Evening walk aong the Jetty
coffee and Banana bread, because of the early start, we decided to continue on to Port Fairy just South of Warrnambool.
The countryside is nice farming country, very green and lots of well looked after livestock. A noticeable feature being the stone dry built fences, very reminiscent of those viewed in England.
We booked into the Park and with the “help” of our neighbours and his concerns about our “Non-secure TV aerial” and the one behind, concerned we may be a little too far back on our site (approx a foot). Rick suggested politely, to put the complaint into triplicate and in writing and it might be considered in 3 days, Considering we have booked in for only 2 nights he took it well, we had a late lunch. A short nanny nap (because we can) and then chose to go for an evening walk to the beach and around the town.
The Old settlement style buildings, a lot built from the volcanic stone from the area, an interesting wharf and history to read about, as well as some high priced restaurants in the town. An example being a seafood patter for 2 being $180, if you wish to add
The Historic CornerThe Historic CornerThe Historic Corner

One of the Historic buidings in the centre of town. One corner with Historic buildings stil in existence on each corner
½ a lobster to that it would be $225. MMM gee I don’t thinks SO!!
We strolled back and Karon called Pop, while Rick prepared dinner, a late meal but certainly in relaxed style.
A caravan park that quietens down very quickly made for a good sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

One of the many churchesOne of the many churches
One of the many churches

For a small population town there appears to be a lot of churches


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb