Mildura and the Paddle Steamer "Melbourne"


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Mildura
July 4th 2011
Published: July 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday 4th July
The weekend was quite cool and rained on Sunday - pretty crappy - we are not used to this as this is only the second time we have seen rain since we been on the eastern side of Oz.
Today we took the Cruiser in for some muffler repairs then we walked throught the main streets of Mildura and checked out all the old Art Deco buildings - the photo is of the T&G Building but there were many others. Checked out the lovely Grand Hotel which was built as a Tea house because the Caffey Bros did not want drink to affect the work of their workers - it was many years before the Tea House received a liquour license and become a Hotel.
Then we boarded the paddle steamer 'Melbourne' and spent 1.1/2 hrs cruising up and down the Murray River and going through Loch 11 twice. The weather today was fine but a little cool so we spent some time upstairs but came downstairs into where it is covered for the return trip (nice and cosy with the sun coming in through the windows).
Then called into the Old Mildura Brewery for lunch. Todays brewery is still in the same building it has always been in and is all decorated in the Art Deco style with the working brewery at the back and the bar and resturant in the front of the building.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb