Back to the Madness of Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
May 19th 2010
Published: May 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

I love the feeling when we lift off!

Soooooo Leigh and I were back in Melbourne December 18th 2009. The week previous I was putting off callig my mother as I was in Byron Bay penniless and not telling her I could be home for christmas. The thought had crossed my mind - I'd had a crazy great time on Daydream I needed to detox and relax, I missed my family, friends and football- maybe it was time? But then after a week and the novelty of home wore off what then? I'd want to go again away from the mundane everyday work of the leisure centre not really going anywhere treading water with life. Or I could stay in Melbourne, get a job, save, the australian open, ,melbourne grand prix, comedy fest was on and some awesome gigs! It was hitting summer over here as well the sun was beaming unlike home mid december and its gloom. While I would miss cristmas again with the family it was a sacrifice worth paying.

We we broke though and we both admitted it was a tough first month living with Jess. She and her friends were amazing to us and took us out met the family, but with no cash we send our days on the internet looking for jobs watching films, reservior in north melbonre is not a great place with not much to do. The city was an hour away and what would we do with no cash, and no motivation, we were in a low but knew that to see the beautiful clear blue skies at times you had to suffer the storms. We struggled got through I dont know how, Leigh got a job in a fancy resteraunt so at least one of us had a job. We were dying to work the boredom of days were killing us.

In true Gillson and Fry style though we never went without we wanted - an ice cream, beer we always managed to put it together and remain postive. And again in true total lack of sense and regard, we spend $200 of out last $300 on tickets to a dubstep and drum and base gig which was awesome - HYPE! Though we continued Leigh was working so now I sat in solitude smashing the net ringing people it was so depressing, not getting calls back for call centre work - I would have done most things for work by now. The other good thing from that gig was that I met Barry (Busy B) a mate of Leighs from Brisbane. He stood around 6'2 a bald shaking head ( like one of theose churchill dogs but sideways) a similar odd sense of humour to myself, a love for music and excentric in many ways ( a love of coulours, shapes and documentaries) - he was relieved to see us so we could go to gigs and it was good to meet another with the same mentality as me and the gillson.

Barry found a place in St Kilda a share house (33 people!) and had a room for three. We were abit duboius, while we didnt like Reservior J was back from Daydream and I loved living with the girls! But we moved, the first day hottest evening 44 degrees and 30 and midnight, the tv was bust, we had no light and a hoel in the wall. I was royally pissed off and ready to go back to Reservior. But I gave it a chance the best decison the people was fantastic even if the house was an old crack den!

27 people 10 guys 17 girls from all over the world, and Dashiki 74 Wellington Street. We all were looking for jobs had no cash but managed to scrounge the pennies together for goon ad all get wrecked together we had an amzing time. We were like a little incestous family (haha!) everyone looked out for eveyone me and leigh got 12 of the house jobs working AC/DC for 3 nights we all worked toether like the bastard Waltons haha!Days like Australia day eveyone (hitting the goon at 10am partying all day and a free dj yoda concer) st kilda fest same again all the house down to party so many good times, the elephant!

Soso so so so so many good parties in that house and we had a mental landlord dealt only cash and threaten to evict us constantly! Half french half Israli guy was a mentalist your best friend one minute the next you though you had raped his children. He spoke to us all terribly but we were so poor we could not afford to move out, but we stood (stumbled around drunk on goon) strong together against the wicked bond-like villan.

We partied hard! Leigh and I were paying rent eating noodles having an amazing time on no cash. We had nothing and everything! But it started to turn round I got a job in a hotel (which I nearly lost after getting drunk/shagging for a week and not calling the manager back) but started earining cash. Barry worked helping set up the grand prix and leigh got a job as a waiter in the tallest bulding int the sothern hemispher the euricka tower, things were literally looking up!

But as we left from the 27 one by one fist kyle then sofie then laura, guy losing his shit at the smasllest thing (he ended up booting leigh and another friend keivn out for their being ash in the living room!) but moved them into another house?? The wellington was coming to a close we left with most of the house and went to live in Glen Irie.

Again hated it at first but had a much better cool chilled feel the house was segeagated into four houses with a cout yard. Meaning you did not have the intense living space of the wellington and i was a much more chilled vibe. Here was the formation of Dubai FM (74) we would chill in our smoke session inthe room play fifa and smash some tunes on with Gillson, Barry and one of the French lads from the Wellington Kevvy. After three weeks though we were moved from here asd he did not have a permit for this house (only as a shop!) so we were moved to his pool/sauna house in Elwood.

Dubai Fm moved in again chilled but guy still being a pain in the ass anything to have a go. Kevy then placed his own personal form of karma and revenge on Guy and hit him where it hurt the most - the pocket! We went to the casino for the day drank fine champers ate well and the strippers all before work! I went in smashesd and had one of the best days of my life that day with Leigh and Kevvy we really all had turned the corner! in between we went to gis like good vibes and future music and met up with some great daydream peeps again, dan, jake, christine, connor, richieroo!, tess, maddy, rayray, jojo, jake some great friends and times.

Melbourne was mad the first time round with bets, kristy, elsie sean and the irish it took me 5 weeks in Sydney to recover. But the second time Melbourne in Summer what a time! The wellington was the highlight of Melbourne in the summer in St Kilda - the people the friends i've met, again not really seen to much but thats not what Melbourne about. People speak about the culture and second time round I get it. The people are so friendly and chilled because it reflects the lifestyles, everyones got a style of there own, I like that marching to their own beat. The music, the shows, the events its a leisure and socail mecca bringing gruops together to enjoy celebrate music, food, drink, art whatever your fancy Melbourne will no doublty be able to give it a big fat tick! My favourite city in the world and if it wasnt so far from home id emigrate I love it here so much. melbourne and Oz thanks for a fantastic two years the perople the parties the experiences I wll never forget and hope to see as many you as I can in the future, thank you oz!

And to friends...............Ive said goodbye to many good friends not only in Melbounrne but oz as well, nate in asia, bets and kristy, team fair play, diniho on the east coast, sally and my underground mates, the carnies all my daydrema mates, the wellington, team dashiki and dubai fm - but the last year since the Daydream me and the gillson have had a craaaazy year. My best mate for the last year travelling weve seen the highs the lows and ive never laughted so hard constantly, how did we end up in half the situations? Waffling through 15 hours shifts about what? girls, football, life, both always positive got through somehow - the mans a legend and a friend for life and will never forget the crazy fantastic second year in oz.

So ill be a little lost in Queenstown New Zealand at first without my hombre gillson getting smashed with me, but im off to try my arm at Queenstown hopefully learn to snowboard, pick up more travellers and keep the party on rolling, so as they say when one door closes another opens.........so to another land of sheep and rugby should fit right in! But before that I couldnt leave oz like that? me? no? no party? To oz - fair dinkum mate its been too easy GROUSE!

To those in the diff - not long till ill be back line up the buccas ill be home soon enough and cant wait to see all your ugly faces.

from toz with love

frygo

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb