It's Chilly in Melbourne!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
August 12th 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Bali Via Singapore and we had 8 hours to kill in between flights and if you ever get stuck in an airport Singapore is the place to be!!! We were entertained by a selection of pre olympic sport type activities which were hilarious! Tel managed to pip me to the post on the inflatable horse racing but only because he threw himself on the floor in front of me so i couldn't win - we each got medals and $10 to spend in the airport - result!!!!!! After being silly for a few hours we checked into a lovely lounge where i managed to speak to nat for a while (thanks mum and nat) and then we got onto the lovely big plane with more good films and made our way to Australia - we really are the other side of the world now!!! We touched down in Melbourne at 8 am wearing flip flops, thin trousers and our only protection from the eight degree cold was four sarongs, we must have looked like homeless people waiting to get the bus to the hostel! As soon as we put our bags in our very tiny room we hit the shops and fleeces and jeans were purchased at break neck speed!! We spent the rest of the afternoon recovering from the flight and wandering around the very cute but very cold St Kilda.The hostel we stayed at was a bit full on and pretty noisy but it did afford us the luxury of cooking ourselves beans on toast for breakfast, now thats what i'm talking about!!! Day two in Melbourne was spent buying new underwear (Hallelujah - they don't make over the shoulder boulder holders in Asia) a new bikini and various other things that we haven't been able to find for a while. We also managed to find the Ugg shop and I couldn't resist purchasing myself a brand new pair of Ugglys - they will come in useful in New Zealand - honest!!!!! After all the excitement of big clean smooth pavements and good food and amazing shops our rapidly beating hearts could take no more and so we went to the massive new cinema in town and watched the new Jonny Depp film in the swanky gold class reclining seats, it was absolutely wicked, we didn't want to leave when the film finished and were eventually asked to leave, oh well!!!! We ended up in the bar of the hostel on the second night after already polishing off a bottle of wine with dinner and things got increasingly messy ending up in a club until 3 in the morning, a pretty decent evening but my head the next day was not nice! We spent our last day in Melbourne exploring the city a bit more with a trip to the docklands and the Sky deck which had an awesome view of the city. We finished our last day with a trip down to the end of St Kilda Pier where supposedly you can see a colony of little penguins that live there. It was pretty busy to start with and no sign of the pengs but as people started to disappear and about an hour after the sun set they started to appear and it was pretty cool to just sit and watch the little fellas! We weren't sure what we were going to make of Australia but so far I have been absolutely blown away by it. Melbourne is a wicked City and with the tram it was so easy to get around, everywhere is so clean and so big and just great, so far Australia rules!! Originally we were going to pick up a camper in Melbourne and drive it all the way up to Cairns but we decided to get the train to Sydney and spend the weekend there first, so now it's only 11 and a half hours by train to Sydney, at least it won't be boiling hot!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Rain stopped play for a whileRain stopped play for a while
Rain stopped play for a while

but the shopping continued!
Trust Tel to find the racing museumTrust Tel to find the racing museum
Trust Tel to find the racing museum

To be fair we only went in the shop!!!!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb