Taking it easy, Melbourne style!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well when last I wrote I'd got up to all sorts of antics and of course the jet lag had to eventually catch up with me, which surprise surprise it did over the past 2 days so I've been taking it pretty easy. Tuesday I had a little lie in, then got up and made my way into Melbourne, where I strolled about and just got a feel for the place. Then I met Sarah and Maria after work, we got the tram up to Carlton where we had a bite to eat in a nice little Italian restaurant. The we went to see a 3D dinosaur movie in the Imax, which was cool - if a little like a 6th year Geography lesson, but the dinosaurs were in 3D which was great.

Yesterday I spent the early part of the day on the net trying to get flights for Sarah and I to go to Tasmania at the weekend - not sure Sarah's too pleased, she's missing out on a night clubbing & pubbing in Melbourne, but those are the sacrifices you've got to make when your sister's travelled halfway around the world to see you.

Then I went to Old Melbourne Gaol, where Ned Kelly was held and eventually hung. The Gaol is Victoria's oldest surviving penal establishment. It shows19th century gaol life, including the death masks and memorabilia of some of Melbourne's most notorious criminals. Thieves stole the head of Ned Kelly in 1978 and it has never been recovered! Have to say from what I read about Ned Kelly, there's much worse out there!

I met Sarah again after work and we went to the Crown Casino, we were like such novices wandering around, didn't have a clue what to do. Eventually we twigged we neeeded to get change so we both cashed in $10, and positioned ourselves at the pokies. After about 2 hours Sarah had made about $70, poor old me barely made $30, I tell you Sarah Duggan was born lucky! We contemplated going back today to try to win the cost of our fare to Tasmania, but we do realise that's how problems start and we're bad enough without a gambling addiction!

Today I got up a little late again and went on net again to try to book our flights, which I did - we're going in the morning at 6.45am and back Sunday morning - so we might make it to the Carlton game in the afternoon - we'll see! After that I got ready to go to St Kikda sea baths, gathered up all my belongings or so I thought - until I reached the baths to realise I'd forgotten my swimsuit, would not've been a pretty sight. So despite the ominous clouds overhead I decided to stroll along the Esplanade, past Luna Park (an old fashioned type amusement park) and walk out the pier, was doing fine until about half way out the pier when the rain pelted down - I ran to the end of the pier where there was a cute little coffee shop, so went in and sipped on a latte till the rain stopped and I felt courageous enough to brave the elements.

I'll add photos at some point but don't have my camera cause was planning on swimming - am sure this doesn't make for the most exciting of reading but hopefully we'll make up for that at the weekend with Tasmania and the Great Ocean Road early next week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



6th July 2007

how i envy you!!!
great blog katie and always a fabulous read. i hardly recognised you in the pics so tell me what you are after doing? the weather sounds dreadful and will it pick up? keep it up and have a brilliant time. cant wait for more updates. Maria

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb