Melbourne - 14/02/2015


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Port Melbourne
February 14th 2015
Published: February 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

G'day fair dinkums, wow what a hot one today, reached 38 degrees by about 3.00 pm (over a 100), we were flagging in it. We decided to visit the Shrine of Remembrance today, so Brian drove us there which was a big help, really didn't want to cook that early !! The Shrine is an amazing building and had a fantastic gallery of photo's, films and uniforms and all sorts of bits and pieces which the Australian soldiers carried on them, during the wars. The stories were very moving as well as the poor horses which were exposed to things, won't go into detail as I don't want this to be depressing. So glad we went as it was so well laid out and beautifully done. Apparently 114,000 enlisted in the First World War and 89,000 served abroad and 19,000 were killed. Sorry can't remember the numbers for the other wars. The galleries told the stories of the Australians in all of the wars, including showing lots of footage. We then climbed to the top of the shrine where we had fantastic views over the park, the botanic gardens and the city. By the time we came out the heat was full blast, we were frying !! So we walked to South Melbourne where the market is then continued to Bay Street which is in Port Melbourne. We got a drink to cool down and then walked home. Walk, walk walk, melting like a pot of ice cream ! Sue had been working today, she had to go out on a boat to do some testing, so Brian, Stu and myself met her from work and we have come home for a cuppa, deciding to do something tonight, however Sue is now asleep !!!

Stu has come back with a Valentine's card, I said 'you've written it upside down. He said, 'yes', then I realised were 'down under ' So that was why. That's a joke by the way, you can laugh !!! But I'm not !

Right were off out now, so will add my photos when we're back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb