We were all Yellow


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
April 21st 2008
Published: May 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 328 (18.2.08) to Day 332 (22.2.08)

Early on Monday morning we rocked up to the Australian Ballet Building in the centre of Melbourne where we would be working on the 4th floor for a company called PCI. PCI is a call centre and we would be part of a team selling internet advertising for the Yellow Pages website. Sadly we’d been unable to find any short term work that was in any way linked to what we did back at home and we’d been resigned to finding any job that would guarantee us a fairly decent income for the few months we’d be here. Amazingly it takes two weeks to train to be able to do this and we spent the first week learning about what we were selling and practising the sales process. We got on well with the others in our training group and were gradually getting to know the rest of the team that we’d soon be joining out on the floor. Tuesday morning saw us leaping onto our bikes and joining hordes of other cyclists heading into the CBD from the suburbs on the plentiful cycle lanes, something that we would be doing from now on and that would save us a fortune in tram tickets.

On Friday afternoon they finally let us loose on the phones as we all had a go at dialling and trying to sell a spot on the website. As it was our first go it was unsurprising that no-one made a sale but we joined the rest of the Yellow team to celebrate the end of our first week of training with a few drinks at the Curve bar just opposite our work building. It was a good night and a great chance to get to know our work-mates better - we were already beginning to feel that it would be the people that would help us through 6 months in this job.

Later in the evening we were joined by Marita, a friend that we’d met in Hoi-An and had been trying to catch up with since we’d arrived in Melbourne. It was brilliant catching up with her and we made plans to meet up again in the near future.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

origamiorigami
origami

Chrissie's new talent - a good way to ease the boredom at work!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb