Black Country Museum


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Hastings
February 24th 2014
Published: February 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On Friday 21st February Pauline and Nick Hill from St Chads (Pauline is the Church warden) took us on a 'Hills' tour to the Black Country Museum.

The Museum is located in Dudley near Wolverhampton and is a Living Museum. It is a remarkable place to explore, and you can enjoy spending some time in a landscape of 26 acres. It is one of the most extraordinary open-air museums in the UK; offering a glimpse into 200 years of history like no other. They tell the story of a very special time and place in history and of some of the most hard-working, ingenious and influential people you could imagine! The Black Country folk changed the world, and in the streets of the canalside village, or on our tramway or down the underground mine, you and can experience how ‘they’ became ‘us’. Over fifty authentic shops, houses and workshops have been carefully reconstructed to preserve the character of the region when its manufacturers bought worldwide fame to Black Country Towns.

We spent a great day wandering around the living exhibits including the Drift Coal Mine where we followed the old paths down into the mine experiencing some of the conditions the original mine workers, including children, had to endure in order to make a living. Other exhibits included Bradburn & Wedge Motor Garage which houses a collection of vintage cars and motor bikes built in the Black Country from 1912 to 1936, The war time Cast Iron Houses, St James C of E school, the Canal Docks, Chain making and the many shops and houses which form part of this living museum.

We also visited the Methodist Providence Chapel which was originally located at Netherton. The chapel was originally built in 1837 and moved to the museum site in 1978. The building was of special interest as Pauline is originally from Netherton and this was her local church where she was christened, as too was her mother. Pauline also had the privilege of giving the final talk from the pulpit before the chapel was closed pending relocation to the museum. Pauline has also attended a christening at the chapel, post relocation, as the chapel was re dedicated in 1979.

We had a great day which included lunch at the Workers Institute cafe and on the way home we stopped for a pint at 'The Olde
Evelyn & JessEvelyn & JessEvelyn & Jess

A cold day at times
Swan Inn' in Netherton where Jess & Nick enjoyed a taste of 'Old Swan' home brewed ale, not bad but at room temperature? The Swan is an old Black Country pub that has changed very little over the years and had a great atmosphere, especially in the main bar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Nick & PaulineNick & Pauline
Nick & Pauline

Great friends
Evelyn & JessEvelyn & Jess
Evelyn & Jess

In front of the old Tram - Note the sign fro the Olde Swan Inn


25th February 2014

Hel
Good to hear from you again. You do look rather cold, no doubt you have become used to the weather by now. We are missing you and wonder when you are to start back. I have enjoyed looking at all the old buildings and comments. God bless you and keep you always My love Joan

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0821s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb