The Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
March 8th 2015
Published: March 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

More relationsMore relationsMore relations

Lyn and Dave with John Mann's Mother Ruth Mann and brother David. Ruth was Lyn's Dad's first cousin
On to the next stage of the holiday. Catching

the tram with full suitcases is an experience in its own right but we did get to the car hire place. One suitcase in the boot and one on the back seat and off we go. Unfortunately between high rise buildings on a dull day means that the sat nav does not respond very quickly, so we saw a bit more of the centre of Melbourne than we had planned. Never mind we were soon on our way to Geelong to meet up with John Mann and his brother and mother. We spent nearly four hours with them in a hotel restaurant overlooking the harbour, a really lazy lunch. We left Geelong to go to Anglesea to join the Great Ocean Road. We stopped many times along the road sightseeing amongst lovely beaches and coves. We reached our hotel in Lorne which was a heritage listed building on the edge of the town that ran along a lovely beach. Fish and chips for dinner and then Lyn caught up on the laundry and Dave watched a live Australian Rugby League game on the television.

Next day (Sunday) we had a full breakfast in the hotel before venturing off on the next leg of the Great Ocean Road. This road was build by returning troops from Ww1 to give them employment. The road winds around the coast and is cut into the side of the cliff, a magnificent drive and magnificent scenery. After Apollo Bay the road goes inland to return to the coast at Port Cambell. Then the scenery exploded from the twelve apostles to the London Bridge. These are all outcrops of rock along the cliffs. We were stopping every couple of kilometres to walk to 'lookouts' to admire the view and take loads of photographs. The sat nav said that our journey between hotels should take 2 hours 53 minutes, it actual took 7 hours 45 minutes such was the scenery and winding roads.

We arrived in Port Fairy to find the town main street closed off for their annual Folk music festival. All the bars and restaurant were rammed so a trip to the supermarket for a couple of microwave meals and chill out in the room which is the top floor of an old cottage. We can just hear music from the town, I did not realise Folk music used amplifiers!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb