Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
April 23rd 2013
Published: April 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Who ever said you can't see the Great Ocean Road in one day was wrong! and it was the most beautiful day to go 😊

Two days ago a friend of mine brought me along on his one day road trip down the Great Ocean Road! He had couch surfed his first few days here and his couch surfer, Edger, a gay guy from Singapore, takes his surfers on a road trip every few months. It was a pretty diverse car load, my friend Alex who is from Canada, me (American), Edger (Australian and Singaporian?), his current couch surfer Dave from England, and Dave's friend Will from France.

Alex and I had to wake up at 6:30am to catch a 7:30 tram into the city, Edger has the most gorgeous view of the city from his apartment. Once Will arrive at the apartment we packed up and headed out for the 2 hour drive to the coast.

Our first stop was the beach/ entrance of the Great Ocean Road and took some photos, Dave decided he was going to go swimming at some point in the day even thought it was like 17C out. Next we stopped in Lorne again around 11, thats where we had our exchange student orientation for some meat pies. I never knew meat pies could be so good! Dave also had this mission to take about 200 photos during the trip because his girl friend wanted to see more photos so he took at least 50 of the cockatoos and it took be like 10 min but I finally got one to land on my shoulder again! except Dave missed it and didn't get a picture becasue accidentally turned the camera off instead of take the picture.

As we were on our way to our next destination Edger pulled over because everyone was on the side of the road for some reason and it was because there was a Koala in a tree only about 30 meters from the side of the road! He was super cute 😊 and when we were about to leave he looked up/ smiled for some photos 😉 ha Afterwards we arrived in Apollo Bay for lunch where the boys got fish and chips but I was still stuffed from the awesome meat pies. The ice cream I did get however was amazing. Dave decided he was going to go swimming in Apollo Bay and boy was it entertaining because the rest of us were cold in our jeans and jackets while he was in his trunks running into the ocean.

Next we headed inland and saw some more valleys that looks a lot like New Zealand except there weren't snow capped mountains in the background. We did a 30 min look through the jungle which was pretty nice but New Zealand was nicer. I also became obsessed with the giant ferns once again....

The rest of the time we quickly stopped at different views along the beach, a cool one was the 12 Apostles (except now there are only 8 because 4 had been eroded down by the waves and crumbled a couple years ago). I also found these really cool purple sea shells that I am going to try and make into a necklace. After that they were short smaller beaches, Thunder Cave, London Bridge, and some Arch one.

WE ALMOST HIT A KANGAROO!!!! They come out at dawn and dusk and it was just getting dark when one jumped across the road. And we almost saw some next to us when walking back from one of the beaches but it was too dark to see them and all of our phone cameras didn't have a good enough flash. But I am still going to say I've seen a Kangaroo in the dark. Oh and we almost hit an owl that was in the middle of the road, but it was super cute, looked like a burrowing owl.

I finally had subway! We stopped in a small town for dinner and the boys got Chinese but I was craving subway ha And Edger drove us back to Deakin which was really nice so we got back around 10:30 instead of 12 if we would of had to taken the tram 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb