Great Ocean Road - Day 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
February 4th 2012
Published: February 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning was a sunny start to the day so we were up and showered early and on our way to the Great Ocean Road. We drove around the Mornington Peninsula to Sorrento where we caught a 40 minute car ferry across to Torquay which marks the start of the Great Ocean Road.

Our first stop was Bells Beach which is a famous surfing beach, and which was packed with families enjoying the last weekend of the school holidays. We took a walk along the beach and then hopped back in the van stopping at Point Addis, Angelsea, Aireys Inlet, Lorne and a number of other road side viewing spots. We had been given a tip by the guy working at the Jucy rentals garage to drive up into Kennet River which is one of the villages along the Great Ocean road to spot the Koalas grazing in the Eucalyptus trees. It was only a short drive up the hill before we spotted a few Koalas grazing away – they were obviously more of a pest than a photo opportunity for the locals as they had put up plastic sheeting around the trees near the houses to stop the Koalas being able to climb them. From here we drove through Wongarra and Skenes Creek to Apollo Bay where we found our campsite for the night. This campsite was in Apollo Bay Recreation Reserve, where they also had a cricket pitch and a local cricket match taking place as we arrived. We found our spot in the site, next to the river and then drove out in search of dinner. We picked up a take away pizza and some salad from one of the restaurants on the high street and drove up towards Marengo to try and find a spot where we could watch the sun go down. We drove for about 15 mins before hunger got the better of us and we decided to head back to Apollo Bay and enjoy our Pizza just behind Apollo Bay Beach.

After our pizza we headed back to the campsite and set up the van for sleeping before reading our books and watching the sun set over the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb