The Great Ocean Roadie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
April 10th 2009
Published: December 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

SorrentoSorrentoSorrento

On the ferry on the way to the Great Ocean Road, the start of the road trip.
The Easter Holiday road trip along the Great Ocean Road began with us starting to drive in the opposite direction. It was, I hasten to add, all part of the plan. We drove down the Mornington Peninsula, popping and out of the little seaside towns until we got to Sorrento. We stopped for lunch, and I bought a slice of the "famous vanilla slice" which was kind of like a giant custard slice. Large enough to feed Cam, me and a fair size helping left over for Ralph. From Sorrento we took the ferry to Queenscliff - and then we began the Great Ocean Road proper.

First stop was Bells Beach, where the Easter Rip Curl Surfing competition was in full swing. The place was packed. We then meandered through many gorgeous little towns, stopping where the mood took us. Particularly memorable was Lorne, which has a really pretty town and postcard yellow sand. Ralph especially enjoyed it!

By dinner time we were in Apollo Bay and looking for the B&B that I had booked online. About then I looked at the directions properly to discover that it was a further 26km west, in the Aire Valley. Oops. However
Bells BeachBells BeachBells Beach

We had come straight from Port Melbourne - note my impractical outfit!
it was a gorgeous drive round quite windy roads through a national park. The Aire Valley is lush and green - much like New Zealand. So yes, I travelled four hours on a plane, took a ferry and drove for several more hours to stay the night in a farmhouse in a valley just like home. But with snakes, which luckily I didn't see, and spectacularly coloured birds, which happily I did.

After some discussions with the locals, we started day two by driving backwards from where we'd come from to Blanket Bay in the attempt to spot a koala. We drove through the Otway National Park with our eyes alternatively skyward trying to find a small furry bear, and groundward looking for koala poop which the locals had told us was a dead giveaway that the tree's inhabitants were nearby. Just when we were about to give up we finally saw some, a long way up and doing their best to hide from nosy tourists! More thrilling was when we spotted a wallaby on the side of the road.

We went through many more gorgeous beach towns with spectacular surf, including Johanna, which is where the surf competition is sometimes held when the weather at Bells Beach isn't cooperating. We also found picturesque Port Fairy where we enjoyed an icecream and watched some surfers for a while.

Along with a multitude of other tourists we also walked out to view the 12 Apostles, which were absolutely spectacular. Despite having seen loads of photos of them and not expecting to be particularly impressed, I was dead impressed.

We drove on to Warrnambool, a mid size farming town where every other car was a brand new 4 wheel drive, or so it seemed. Then on to Portland, another prosperous rural town, but also with lots of fishermen. Or fish shops at least. Had a delicious pizza for dinner and walked Ralph along the promenade.

Day three, in anticipation of a day of treats, I started with a morning run through Portland. Then it was back in the car, where we headed towards wine country in South Australia. First up in South Australia, confusingly slower at half an hour behind Victoria, but faster with a 110 km p/hour speed limit, was Mt Gambier. Then on to the little town of Penola, gateway to Coonawarra, famous for its
LorneLorneLorne

Ralph enjoys a run at Lorne
red wine. Grapes as far as the eye could see. We visited a number of vineyards trying and buying all sorts, including a sparkling red which I'd never come across before, but I quite enjoyed it.

After much laziness and wine sampling, not from the driver obviously, it was cross country back to Victoria towards the Grampians. The countryside was much, much drier. The first thing I noticed was the lack of water and lack of grass. Quite a contrast.

We made it to our final night's destination, the Royal Mail Hotel in Dunkeld. A very up market hotel and highly acclaimed restaurant. I was keen to try it out and enquired about a reservation for dinner. They very professionally showed me a menu, where I discovered that it was around $180 per person.....at which point I decided pub fare would suffice for us!

Before we ventured to the local pub, we went for a walk and spotted some more wallabies, quite exciting for the Kiwi tourist! Not quite as exciting as for Ralph, who took chase, very nearly giving the other guests at the fancy hotel a ringside view of something more fitting to the National
LorneLorneLorne

Check out the fantistic yellow sand!
Geographic. Cam took off after Ralph, diverting him long enough to give the wallaby a decent chance at escape, and the crisis was averted.

On our last day we drove back via a scenic route through the Grampians and Grampian National Park. We were in the Aussie bush, but the scrubby trees didn't quite measure up in my mind! However it was very misty and quite picturesque all the same. From there we went on to Halls Gap, which for some strange reason made me think of Ned Kelly. Finally to Ballarat, where we had a truly delicious lunch at L'Espresso before heading back to Cam & joey's place in Port Melbourne.

But what a memorable road trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Koala spottingKoala spotting
Koala spotting

If you look VERY hard, you just might see a koala
Wild lifeWild life
Wild life

I can't remember where this was!
Mt GambierMt Gambier
Mt Gambier

At the Blue lake
CoonawarraCoonawarra
Coonawarra

Ralph enjoys a fine Chardonnay at Wynns
Wynns CoonawarraWynns Coonawarra
Wynns Coonawarra

Just like on the bottle


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb