Aussie Aussie Aussie!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
March 10th 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

And so to Australia! From the start this was one destination we both agreed we were definately going to visit, and we were finally here, touching down in Melbourne. Due to bad planning on our behalf, we hadnt realised it was the tennis open in melbourne the same week, and as a result the hostel prices were sky high and most places booked out, so we hired a campervan (our hippie camper!) and headed down the Great Ocean Road.

The name pretty much says it all, as it is a road that hugs the victorian coast, winding in and out of bush land whilst constantly following beautiful beaches and blue skies! We first hit Torquay, a famous surf beach at the start of the road lined with billabong and quicksilver shops, plus hundreds of surfers and tanned bodies....the NZ weather hadnt quite enhanced my light-bulb white tan, although Daisy was fairing slightly better, so here was our chance to enjoy the sunshine!

We spent a few days heading along the coast, sitting on the beaches, walking in the bush and enjoying the scenery and relaxed nature of it all and even making friends with the locals along the way (and apparently the dont put shrimps on BBQ's and nor do they say 'crikey' or 'strewth' - my expectations were left in tatters!). Along the way we spent a day exploring (or rather indulging) in the local produce close to Port Campbell, including a distillery, a strawberry field, two cheese factories, a vineyards and a chocolate factory... It was, unsurprisingly, a great day!

We headed from the coast up to the Grampians National Park, which is a vast area of bushland built on some incredible rock formations. In addition to the stunning views, offering a view of miles and miles of flat land, we saw some impressive wildlife including koalas, wallabies, kangaroos, spiders and snakes.

We had a great time and it was a really great way of seeing the aussie lifestyle of relaxing on the beach or enjoying the wildlife of the bush!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb