On the road again....


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
August 4th 2005
Published: August 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Chrissie and I flew to Adelaide and picked up a hire car and started our mini road trip. We drove to Mount Gambier, stopping off In Kingston SE to see the giant lobster and then in Robe to see the lighthouse. We checked into the Jail for the night, which had been a working prison until 1995 and has now been turned into a backpackers - it could use a bit of a lick and polish and it would be really groovy. We were off again early the next day pushing onto Port MacDonnell were the Southern Sea was pounding the cliffs and then onto Nelson, a really cute little town (and the first over the stateline into Victoria) where we fuelled the car at the petrol station, which was also the general store, the post office, the gift shop, the cafe and the ice cream parlour. Around lunchtime we stopped in Portland to ride the light railway that circuits the town, but as is the way of things - it was closed the day we were there!!

We stayed in Port Fairy and got up early the next morning to walk around Griffiths Island. As we were wandering around
Cheap AccommodationCheap AccommodationCheap Accommodation

Jail cell where I spent the night and paid for the priviledge...
we happened upon a wallaby who was eating his breakfast! We spent ages just watching him and when he got bored watching us - he just hopped away. It was pretty cool considering the only other ones I had seen so far were in zoo. The sea was the most amazing shades of blues and greens and we were blessed with another beautiful day to watch them. We went to Tower Hill which is a nature reserve run by an aborginal trust and we saw our first wild kanagaroos (including a couple of joeys) and a koala. On our way out of the park, we had to stop to let two emus cross the road!

On the way along the Great Ocean Road we stopped at the Bay of Islands, the Bay of Martyrs and the Grotto to admire the stunning scenery that make up this amazing stretch of coastline. Our last stop for the day was at the very popular 12 Apostles (although there is now one less, as it collapsed into the ocean a few weeks ago), whilst it was amazing to see these formations, other bits than we had seen earlier were just as amazing and alot less busy!! We overnighted in Apollo Bay before back tracking a little to go to Cape Otway. We drove onto Lorne and walked around town and along the beach, looking for a family of whales which had been spotted in the bay the previous day - we couldn't find them... The coastal drive was beautiful and we stopped to watch the surfers at Bell's Beach before staying in Queenscliffe for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Wild Wallaby!!Wild Wallaby!!
Wild Wallaby!!

He was happily eating his breakfast and then hopped off after getting bored watching us, watching him!!


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb