Halls Gap


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Grampians
April 13th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Burnt ForestBurnt ForestBurnt Forest

Amazing how a forest recovers
G'Day Mates
(
It's Good Friday and we are heading nothwards towards the Grampians. And as we travel the sky gets darker and darker, before we see Mt Sturgeon and Mt Stokes, at the stat of the Grampians we been through pouring rain. However when we arrive at Dunkeld, they have not had the rain, but desparately need it!! It's Easter weekend and we are told at the I-site that all the camps are fully booked, but the ranger finds us room at Halls Gap at the Grampians Gardens.
So off we head, and as we travel we pass forest that was severly burnt in January. It is all showing great signs of recovery though, amazing how regrowth can occur on such badly burnt trees. But it is all part of the ecology of Australian Bush, it needs fire for some of the plants to regenerate.
Unfortunately, (for us that is,) it's raining heavily now, the area needs the rain badly. We arrive at the campsite and book in and we're sent over to a field marked out with spray and there are quite a few tents up already. But we wait and wait, and eventually it stops enough for us
Burnt Forest 2Burnt Forest 2Burnt Forest 2

but it can just look at this regrowth!!!
to set up camp without getting soaked.
In all honesty this was the worst camp we've been in since we started this trip, the camp kitchen is non-existant, that is to say it had a sink, not plumbed in, and without any water!! Showers are cold unless you're up by 6am and although it had stoped raining, there was mud everywhere and despite the camp being full, the facilites are not cleaned!! Everyone around us had a fire, and we have only just got rid of the smell of smoke out of the tent!! We have renamed it Hells Gap. However the scenery and wildlife around the area were superb and the highlight of my Easter weekend was seeing kangaroos crossing the road in front of us and going across the campsite early in the morning. We stayed two nights and eventually travelled westwards through some vast wheat growing areas stopping for the night at Bordertown in a very clean camp with lovely hot showers!! We also see white kangaroos in the local park and they look just like sheep lying down! We are now in South Australia and heading towards Adelaide.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Halls Gap WallabyHalls Gap Wallaby
Halls Gap Wallaby

Spot the Wallaby!!
Halls Gap From AboveHalls Gap From Above
Halls Gap From Above

Aumnal colours in the forest above Halls Gap


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb