Rock Climbing at Mt. Arapiles


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Grampians
December 14th 2008
Published: October 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Back to Melbourne for a day and then off to the Arapiles Ranges camping with Bec’s brother, Owen. It was great to get away from cities again and out in the wide open spaces. An outdoors nut, Owen wanted to show us how to rock climb and abseil. Two days we learned the ropes (no pun intended) and challenged ourselves to break through the fear. We were due to stay 4 nights, but the forecast of rain is not a good thing for rock climbers. So back to Melbourne we went.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Climb 1Climb 1
Climb 1

My first ever attempt at climbing a real rock face.
Owen lead climbingOwen lead climbing
Owen lead climbing

Bec's brother decided to lead climb to set up the ropes for us. Lead climbing means he climbs up some of the way without support until he can put in some for us to use behind him.
Becca Climb 2Becca Climb 2
Becca Climb 2

This was a tad more tricky than my first climb. That's be belaying her.
The professionalThe professional
The professional

The rope pack was almost bigger than Bec.
The tricky sectionThe tricky section
The tricky section

Both Bec and I were flapping a bit when we got to this spot. It took us ages to problem solve our way out of it.
Over the last hurdleOver the last hurdle
Over the last hurdle

After a testing few minutes, Bec finally made it to the top of our third climb.
AbseilingAbseiling
Abseiling

Now this I had done before in my glory days as a scout.


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb