A day in Ballarat


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Ballarat
February 14th 2013
Published: February 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We have finally found an advantage of getting old; we can travel on Victoria's public transport for an entire day for $3.60. Trains, buses, the whole lot.

Valentines day, found us on the bus from Creswick to Ballarat, then on another bus, out to the Eureka Centre, the birth of Australian Democracy. This is so new, that unfortunately, it isn't open yet, a little gem that the tourist people forgot to mention. The Director arrived as we were sitting on their front step, but even though he was very nice, still wouldn't let us in. We did take a few photos of the actual stockade site and memorial, then waited in the hot sun for a return bus. The elderly serbian man at the bus stop was very nice, except his command of English, is as good as our Serbian, but he and Gail still had an enlightening conversation for about 15 minutes. I didn't realise until that day that she was bilingual.

Back in town, we went to Bakers Hill, for those of you who are unaware, this is the place that, the meeting of 10,000 miners were addressed by Peter Lawler regarding the gold licenses. At that meeting, they swore allegience to the Southern Cross, and thus democracy was born in Australia. (google it, its really interesting ) Believe it or not, the site is now the biggest McDonalds store we have seen.

A stroll along the historic streets took us to the Regent Theatre, full of character and bygone oppulance. From there we went to the Fine Art Gallery (FAG). Now, interestingly, they had on display, one of the items that we travelled to Euraka to see at the centre. The original Stockade Flag.

After that, more walking and photo taking, then as the impendin

g storm broke and the bush fire a few ks from the city, filled it with smoke, the bus arrived to take us through the partially flooded highway back to camp.

An interesting and exercise prone day.

Once again, we will attempt to put the photos up, but, if we fail, some will go on facebook.

Advertisement



15th February 2013

Now I know
When you said how long your trip would be, I wondered how you would fill that much time. With days full of fun and interesting adventures like today, now I know. Keep enjoying and stay safe. PS the blog is great, please keep it up.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb