FACES OF TASMANIA...Brushes with Fame and a Kentish or two


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Wynyard
March 1st 2015
Published: March 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

FACES OF TASMANIA...Brushes with Fame and a Kentish or two. When I was 12 I played in the New South Wales Public Schools Tennis Challenge at White City. In the front foyer I see a dark skinned man in white tennis gear sitting on a leather lounge. I ask him if he is Arthur Ashe. He says "yes" so I score his autograph. I turn to the man sitting with him. "Excuse me sir. What is your name?" "Clar... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement


















1st March 2015

Your blogs always make me chuckle but this time they made me reflect"
I have managed two school reunions and found it a strange experience, for me as a late comer to the school I never quite fitted in (and that was without the mammoth!) but I was glad that I had attended. But the celebrity trail is one that I have experienced, in many ways, through my Aunts and their youth in Liverpool who were frequent visitors and friends of several very well known people from that area and then the area that I have spent the majority of my life in, finding that the celebrity is not always that nice sort of person and can have ego's that superceed them, I personally always loved the ones that were just them and enjoyed some considerable time with a few. Let's just say that Mr Holder, Mr Wood and a band that can only play three chords (not my words) figure highly in my respect levels :)
2nd March 2015

Your blogs always make me chuckle but this time they made me reflect"
Great comments as always Jo. So end my Tasmanian blogs. I couldn't leave without impressing the hospitality in Tasmania was some of the best we have encountered anywhere in the World...not just from the Kentishs but from everyone we met. And to think I avoided the Apple Isle for so long...a school reunion clinched it...and our brushes with fame were so special they deserved the title.
2nd March 2015

Enjoyed that
Thanks D-Dave. I always enjoyed Dave Kentish's company at school - I spent many weekends at his home at Mosman and he came home to Bourke with me on school holidays - lovely bloke.
2nd March 2015

Kentish Tales
Thanks for commenting Craig. Sam has sent a message that I share as follows: "Good morning Davids H and K , together with all the 71 year . David H , what a lovely story and so beautifully expressed . My only fear for David K is that it may result in an unending trickle ( nay , Torrent ) of our year heading towards Chateau Kentish . Indeed , why not hold the next reunion there , and spread it over a month !!! This is perhaps a good time to inquire whether any of our interstate / overseas members may be contemplating a visit to Sydney in Oct /Nov / Dec .As you know , I like to pick a date which accommodates such visits ( as you know , this year we were lucky enough to have Ian Freed and Kim Meller , and only illness prevented Andre Leu from attending ) Hope you and your families are all well. Ill try to pick a date by late April so it can go in your diaries , so please let me know asap . Also, any comments or recommendations re format , venue etc. would be welcomed , Cheers Sam."
8th March 2015

The kindness of people
There are so many more good people in the world than bad but the media focuses on the bad. Glad you are always grooving to the beats and a Kentish or two. Loved the happy faces and your enjoyment of Tasmania.
8th March 2015

The kindness of people
Great you picked the vibe of the blog Dave & MJ. The kindness, generosity and welcome of people is worth writing about. Tasmania had it in spades.
19th March 2015

Thanks
Thanks for your kind comments Dave. A good look at Tassie, and the Hospitality hopefully will only improve. A reunion in Tassie would be great! Just need to get John's (Savage) address so we know where to camp!
19th March 2015

Thanks
Thanks go to you Peri & you Dave. We spoke about a dream trip when we were together...then you did it. Great to hear you had such a fabulous time in Patagonia and Antartica. Relax & enjoy...but not for too long. Now you need to start planning the next adventure.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 19; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb