WILD TASMANIA: Mt Field N.P.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Mount Field
November 8th 2014
Published: November 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

WILD TASMANIA: Mt Field N.P.

Each destination we reach reminds us of someone...something...some event. When we leave...we leave with new memories to store in our head banks.

Mt Field National Park reminded me of the beech forests of sthn New Zealand...mosses with the beeches...or the lenga forests of Patagonia...mosses without the lenga...or the Lord of the Rings.

We're not really into cities so it maybe no surprise our visit to Hobart was short...just long enough to be taken by two of the biggest smiles on TB...to the top of that massive rock Mt Wellington...then a 10km walk...a connoisseurs lunch...then out of Hobart to their place in the hinterland...at breakneck speed.

Yep...a visit with RENanDREW comes with having to work for your supper!

Each part of Tasmania is very different...memorable for the people we meet...and stunning locales.

******

We left Port Arthur and decided on a caravan park at Richmond which seemed to be sorta close to Ren and Drew's digs in the Cole River Valley.

And what a cool pick.

Richmond is a colonial gem...19th century buildings...a gaol...a heritage bridge...surrounded by farmland...green lorrikeets...and dinner at the pub.

It was very quiet...but not always so.

It is the place where tourist buses descend with the hordes off cruise ships docking into Hobart. Guess we are not the only ones who think its a gem.

******

Ren and Drew collected us at 10.30 a.m. and took us up to the top of Mt Wellington that overlooks Hobart.

Then to the base for a fern forest walk to get to know each other.

I say that as it was 5 kms...then turned around for another 5 kms to get back to the car.

If you see Ren's blogs there is a penchant for fine food.

Tasmanian organic fare for lunch at Elizabeth Food & Wine washed down with Moo pilsener for me...wine for the others.

Then through the Cole River Valley to Drew's super cool house...a renovated schoolhouse...beautified by Ren's touch...guarded by mad cattle dogs and a studio for their work...full of guitars.

So I had to give Drew a Wolf Mail CD...some hot blues to remember us by.

Great day...great company...another TB meetup...new friends.

Tomorrow we head west.

******



Tasmania's first National Park...some brochures say the most popular. Mt Field National Park is 64 km northwest of Hobart. The landscape ranges from eucalyptus temperate rainforest to alpine moorland.

Campsite by the Tyenna River...walks through forests of giants...Russell Falls...Horseshoe Falls...platypus...echidnas...quolls...vivid green moss...tree ferns...endemic birds...cushion plants, pineapple grass, sphagnum and string bogs on the wet plateau...giant flowering gums, Tasmanian beeches,Tasmanian conifers and the small glacial lakes of the Tarn Shelf.

A tent going up near us...frantic activity near the river bank metres away.

Gotta love it.

A tiger snake...only eats Englishmen I told them...as it curls back off the log and heads towards them...hiding in some fallen timber so the Park Ranger cannot find it later.

The narrow river sparkles and gurgles as it passes us by...telling yarns of the years as it flows by...saying see you soon as we head into the forest for another waterfall walk...around someone's campfire for more laughs and talk.

The night settles as pademelons check us out...the wind whistling through the giant trees...wishing us...and we do...have a good night.



Relax & Enjoy,

Dancing Dave


Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 24


Advertisement






8th November 2014
RENanDREW

Gorgeous photo!
This is a lovely photo of Ren and Andrew! Reading this brought back many good memories of my trip there. It's a very special place, you got a good opportunity to explore it slowly too.
8th November 2014
RENanDREW

Gorgeous photo!
Lot of smiles that day. Pretty easy to get a nice shot Rachael.
8th November 2014
DANCING DUO meet RENanDREW

Lovely
Like old friends!
8th November 2014
DANCING DUO meet RENanDREW

Lovely
Like old friends...feel the vibe Jason...know what you mean!
8th November 2014
DANCING DUO meet RENanDREW

Lucky you--Ren and Drew and my fave wild dogs!
How fab--a meet-up with other great TBers with Mt Wellington (love its rocks), a fern-forest walk and organic lunch. Finally, camping by a river with all those bizarro Tassie animals--it doesn't get much better than that.
8th November 2014
DANCING DUO meet RENanDREW

Lucky you
There is always something special in these TB meetups Tara...relaxing in joint interests...pursuit of nature's pleasure.
9th November 2014

Nothing like a road trip!
Nothing like a road trip & finessed by coupling it with Tasmania - those pics brought back the memory of the moist organic oxygen laden air...sigh
9th November 2014

Nothing like a road trip!
Feet up...doing what I do best...being driven everywhere by my one true love...changing the music & taking the photographs. I sure love our road trips!!!
9th November 2014

There's always one in every group! :)
9th November 2014

Love this photo... I just realised that we haven't been back to that walking track since then - must fix that.
9th November 2014

Ah Southern Tassie...
Thanks for the trip down memoery lane, can't believe that it's been nearly a year!
9th November 2014

Down Memory Lane
My pleasure Ren. My favourite pics were the ones over your back fence and down your memory lane. I have to finish my Tassie blogs before the end of the year as they are too good to miss. What a sensational island in which you live.
9th November 2014

Will hike for food
Sounds like you need to earn a break when you are hanging out with Tasmanian travel bloggers. It is fantastic when bloggers get together. Wow, love the photo in their house with all the guitars. Too bad they have such a small collection. Lovely smiles all around.
9th November 2014

Will hike for food
10 kms is quite an entre MJ...yet sometimes you need that long to have a good chat. Ren and Drew's house is really funky inside...high ceilings...tasteful decor. Drew said he'd send me his CD...mmm...time for a reminder!
9th November 2014

Peaceful
The lovely countryside.
9th November 2014

Peaceful
There's something about bales of hay on hillsides MJ...freshly cut fields...often looks good...like a good haircut.
16th November 2014

Ahh Mt Field NP
One of the main characters in the story of how I got into travelling. And I love that you give music wherever you go!
16th November 2014

Ahh Mt Field NP
You'll have to tell me that story one day Jo. And to be sure we'll play some amazing music for you to tell it by.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 20; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb