Tasmania here we come !


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Launceston
October 22nd 2007
Published: October 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Melbourne on Monday morning. We went on JetStar airlines (a little part of Quantas). It took a little over an hour to fly there. We then got our car. Well as luck would have it someone messed up and we got a two step up grade---no worries. A 2007 camary was to be our car of choice. Off we went to Launceston. Launceston is a small town nestled amongst the mountains and hills at the head of Tamar Valley.
We arrived at our first nights stay a bed and breakfast called Ashton Gate. (It was built in 1880) It was a very nice, quiet home with several rooms for guest. (June you would have loved it) We took pictures but are only putting a few on the blog due to space. We left and went down to the docks and had dinner. I had a dozen oysters (they are so good and different over here). We then walked down the pier and enjoyed the evening.
During dinner I asked the waiter if they had Dr. Pepper. He told us that they didn't have it but he thought he knew a place where we could get. Well after dinner with napkin (he wrote down directions) in hand away we went looking. The cafe was closed. We went the next morning and of course they were out. Now they did have a shelf with American products (Welch's grape jelly, jiffy corn bread mix, and life savers). Oh well we tried.
We headed off to Heavenly Devils. This is a park with Tasmania Devils and several other animals. As you will see by the pictures they are really kind of cute but very dangerous. They have the strength of a 20 foot crockadile in their little jaws. Hope you enjoy seeing them get feed. Steve and I couldn't resist holding a little one (he was 4 months old).
Then off we went to Bicheno. Bicheno is a charming seaside resort town. We were booked into the Diamond Island Oceanview Apartments. Wow what a place. With our wonderful view of the ocean outside our sliding glass doors, the penguin walk coming right up in front of our door, the flat screened tv and cooking area (yes I said cooking--I made our breakfast both days -fried potatoes with onions, bacon and toast--for dinner we had stir fry one night---we are hungry for American home
The front doorThe front doorThe front door

"check out the placement of the door handle"
cooking) we were in 7th heaven. There was a bread machine in our room and they come each day and made fresh bread for us.
We went to the blow hole (pictures attached). Walked around the beaches and just enjoyed total quiet and wonderful views.
Steve walked to the top of a huge hill known as Whaler's Lookout.
Our trip continues........................


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Mail boxMail box
Mail box

"Post" is the name used for mail box and their post office.
A look at LauncestonA look at Launceston
A look at Launceston

This is from our bed & breakfast.
Grandma & DeerGrandma & Deer
Grandma & Deer

"Looks like grandma is discussing this little deer's involvement with Santa"
A a close up.  A a close up.
A a close up.

Isn't he cute? The devil---not grandpa :}


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb