Once in a blue moon


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Cradle Mountain
August 3rd 2015
Published: August 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Apparently Friday 31 July saw a rare blue moon in our skies. Was this the reason for the rare chain of events that followed for me that weekend? It was a long weekend, so of course I had taken the opportunity to get out of town. I had booked a weekend in Tasmania, specifically at Cradle Mountain Lodge, about a 2-hour drive from Launceston and handily located at the entrance to the Cradle Mountain... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




9th August 2015

Wombats!
Thanks for the pictures of wombats. Here in the US we don't have wombats outside of zoos, and I had never even heard of a pademelon, much less seen one. Thank you for contributing to my education. (Now, if you ever want to see a California condor I've got just the place for you.)
9th August 2015

The wombats and pademelons were super cute, made up for all the snow that's for sure. Seeinf a Californian Condor would be really cool! Maybe next time I visit the States....
9th August 2015

Looks gorgeous!
Looks like a completely stunning place, but I can imagine frustrating if you can't actually explore the park. Your blog made me laugh though, sounds like my kind of weather luck.
9th August 2015

You're right, it was very pretty, but very frustrating at the same time!
9th August 2015

Hurray for wombats as they made your trip worthwhile...
I remember being stuck in a really fancy prison in Bermuda waiting for a hurricane to move away from the island so planes could take off. Fortunately no kids...so we had a party with conga lines, etc.
9th August 2015

Your fancy prison sounds like quite a lot of fun.... But then again it always sounds a lot better than it actually is!
9th August 2015

Cradle Mountain in the white
Beautiful part of the world Rachael. We often talk of returning there in winter as it would be so surreal. Granted one risks not being able to get out of there if it snows, but let's face it...subject to work commitments, Cradle Mountain in the snow has gotta be the best time to go!
9th August 2015

I'm not so sure....maybe a light dusting would be okay instead of the record breaking dumping that I witnessed. With a light dusting you can still enjoy all that is on offer and enjoy the prettiness....
10th August 2015

Cradle Mountain...
Oh no, what a shame you couldn't do all those gorgeous walks. We make an annual pilgrimage to Cradle Mt and the Lodge every May/June - the walk to Marion's Lookout is spectacular, however there is a section near the top where you scale rocks while hanging on to a rope - so it was probs best they cancelled the walk! The wombats and paddies at the Lodge are the friendliest ones I have EVER met. We get one of the cabins right near the lake and we've spotted a platypus in there as well. Ah well, you'll just have to come back :)
10th August 2015

A platypus?! Oh wow how cool would that be. Actually when I was talking to Eddie (our guide) just before the Park Explorer (which didn't go ahead) he said the previous week during his tour he realised that all the guests had stopped listening to him and were looking at Dove Lake instead - turns out a platypus was stealing his thunder. Yes, Marion's Lookout in the snow is not something that I think I would have survived!! You might have seen in the photos that the lake froze over. Maybe you could've ice-skated to dinner ;-)

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb