26 November 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bruny Island
November 26th 2012
Published: November 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we headed south out of Hobart and back to Kettering where we made the ferry to Bruny Island as planned but with only a few minutes to spare. The ride over was smooth sailing with fantastic views out towards the Island.

Landing on the northern end of Bruny we made our first stop at the Bruny Island Smoke House. The smoked produce on offer was sensational and there were tastings for various types of chutney, paté, fish and even wallaby which was particularly tasty. From there we had lunch at the beach around at Dennes Point and as we headed south we stopped at the Get Shucked Oyster Farm. I had half a dozen fresh oysters and they were superb. From the processing area on one side of the road you could see the farm out on the coast on the other side……it doesn’t get much fresher than that.

The Bruny Island Cheese Company was our next stop and it’s gormet all the way in this establishment. There were plenty of delicious options available from the café but we opted to do some cheese tasting before making a selection to take with us. There were some very interesting styles and the lady who took us through the range of cheeses really knew her stuff.

Not far down the road we came across ‘The Neck’ which is a narrow strip of land connecting the north and south of the Island. The view at the lookout is quite phenomenal as you cast your eyes out at the rough seas to the east which are in contrast with the calm and sheltered waters of Great Bay to the west looking back to the mainland of Tasmania.

The Jetty Beach Camp in the South Bruny National Park would be our resting spot for the night and we set up late in the afternoon. There were a handful of others taking advantage of the remote location and the nearby walking trails are now pencilled in for the morning. <a name="_GoBack"></a>

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0855s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb