To The Edge Of The World


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Arthur River
September 10th 2018
Published: August 29th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Big day ahead of us, so after a quickish breakfast we packed and ended into Burnie to see the Makers Workshop. I guess I was a little disappointed as it's really only a gift centre. Don't get me wrong there was things to do, but maybe it was the time of year or maybe a little bit early in the day, it was ok.

Morning tea was held at the very popular Bruce's Cafe at Wynyard. Another tick.

We drove thru the backblocks of Wynyard for a bit just driving up very picturesque lanes. The scenary alone the coastline is so dramatic. You could easily fall in love with the area. Unfortunately we were at the wrong time of the year for the famous tulips, which would have been awesome to see. Always next time!

The rain was starting to come down as we got closer to Stanley. We first stopped in at Providore 24 and had a good look around, choosing some local bread, cheese and ciders while we debated about going up the chairlift to the top of The Nut. In the end we braved the weather and of course it cleared up. Did the walk around the top and spent some time enjoying the views. Magnificent. And the rain started as we come back down the chairlift!

Bought some takeaway scallops and chips at Hursey Seafoods. Fresh and delicious. We scoffed them while we were driving to the aptly named Dismal Swamp!

We stopped off at the Tarkine Forest Adventures. The weather was starting to come in, quite eerie really. The visitors centre was empty with just us 2. But the guides were very friendly and informative. We did the slide which got the heart racing and then some walks.

And the rain had cleared up by the time we got onto the road to Arthur River and the even more aptly named The Edge of the World.

I could not get over the power of the sea, and the noise! We were staying about 4 kms away and that's all you heard during the night. The incessant roar and pounding of the waves. I was quite mesmerized by it all, whereas Katie couldn't leave soon enough.

The caravan park where we stayed was empty except for us. We are travelling right at the start of the tourist season. We had a chat with one of the new owners only to find where he is from originally in Brisbane is only a couple hundred metres from where I live! Facilities where very clean, basic and just what we were after. Not every ones idea of a great spot but I liked it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb