3 day self drive around Kangaroo Island


Advertisement
Published: June 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have just returned from a 3 day / 2 night self drive trip around Kangaroo Island. Kangaroo Island is about 3 hours from Adelaide (by bus and ferry) and as the name suggests has lots of wildlife - mainly Kangaroos but there are also sea-lions, koalas, wallabies, penguins and pelicans.

We started our trip on the island by picking up our car from Budget. We were served by a lady we later knicknamed 'Budget Bitch'. She was very unhelpful, patrionising and bascially acted like she didn't want us to rent a car from her!! Fair enough we didn't actually realise how bad the roads were going to be and had only hired a Hyundia Getz but she must have thought we were idiots as she kept saying we couldn't drive on the beach or unsealed roads (really - I thought a Getz was a 4-wheel drive!). She also said that we needed to convience her that we could pay an extra $27 a day to reduce our car liability. She clearly thought she had more power then she actually does in the real world and had probably never left Kangaroo Island. Also she said my favourite expression which is 'That isn't my job'. Lovely.

After the trauma of meeting here we made our way around the island. The island is only 154km long so we could pretty much see everything while we were there. The first day we went to a few look-outs of the island and then made our way to go and see the Australian sea-lions. They were so cute and there were loads of them which was nice. We watched them until the rain came and drove us away!

Then we headed off to our cottage which was in a caravan site. The caravan site was right by the national park so there were loads of wildelife around it which was great.

The next day was spent in the national park. We went to the Remarkable Rocks, a lighthouse, did a walk around the snake lagoon and saw some NZ sea-lions. They are much darker in colour then the Australian ones and also seemed more aggressive as they kept fighting each other!

Day 3 was spent driving around roads that I'm not sure we should have been on! We saw loads of lovely beaches and lots of rolling fields filled with sheep and cows (like home again). It was really amazing and such a contrast to each other. Really enjoyed it, although Ian kept stopping every 2 minutes to take a photo which became annoying! We also went and watched some sheep being milked and tasted sheeps cheese and yogurt (which was nasty), then went to the island distillery where we tried lots of different types of liqueurs. Then it was time for the pelican feeding. That was really funny and I didn't realise how big and scary pelicans are!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb