Watch out for the roo's!!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kangaroo Island
February 19th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Friday 9th Feb we headed to Kangaroo Island. KI is only 13km off SA's coast and is a serene beautiful place with a small population. There is an abundance of glorious birds, animals, and ocean-based creatures. Amazing beaches with white sand and turquoise seas scatter the coastlines.
We got another hire car from Europcar, and we got upgraded!! Instead of a little hairdressers car, we had a Hyundai Tuscan, kind of like a 4 wheel drive machine! We set off from Adelaide towards the ferry at Cape Jervis, which we were told was an hour an a half drive. We gave ourselves that long and soon realised that we may miss the ferry! The ferry that we were booked on was leaving at 10am, and we had to be there 30 mins before to check in. After some very Schumacher style driving we got there at 9:55! I ran into the office and luckily we were the last car to get onto the ferry, what a relief! After about an hour ferry trip, we got to KI. We went to Seal Bay and went on a tour to see the seals. We were about 10 metres from some of the seals.
Seal BaySeal BaySeal Bay

Lazy days
Most were just sunbaking on the beach, being lazy, but a few were swimming around and surfing the waves. We then went to Viyonne Bay and chilled out on the beach all afernoon. Went on a koala walk at dusk, where we saw one koala but loads of Walabies. We then headed to the hostel which was Flinders Chase Farm. Only hostel in the west of the island but it was brilliant. A tour group were there for the night so had good chat with people from all walks of life. All sat round the campfire at night just chatting and drinking.
In the morning we went to Flinders Chase National Park. It occupies the western end of the island. It has tall forests with amazing birdlife, koalas, echidnas, possums and platypuses. We went on the platypus walk, and didnt see a single one! In the afternoon we headed towards the Remarkable Rocks. It's a cluster of large, weather-sculpted granite boulders on a huge dome swooping to the sea. We headed back to the hostel and had a few drinking games in the evening. Got a brilliant new one for everyone called Ring Of Fire, its awesome!
The next day
Seal BaySeal BaySeal Bay

Ready for a swim
we headed to Kingscote, the largest town on the island, even had a supermarket so we went a bit crazy. Was good to eat something different than noddles and bread! In Kingscote we headed to Emu Bay, a gorgeous beach with white sand. Weather was a bit cloudy so wasnt as good as it could of been, but was nice. Stayed in a cabin at Kingscote, and the lady running it was from Torquay, small world! We had a few drinks in the evening which was entertaining, me and Ann lost Tiina and where looking all over for her. We then went round the back of the cabin and she was crouched against the wall, asleep! It was so funny and we couldnt believe how she could slepp in that position. She couldnt remember a thing in the morning and thinks we were making it all up!
On Monday, all sore eyed and headached up, we headed to Penneshaw to catch the ferry at 2pm. Wasnt a good sight, us three on the ferry, which was a bit rocky with hangovers! Got the car back to Adelaide stayed in the hostel. Getting ready for the long road trip to Perth starting tomorrow, about 2800km in total!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Remarkable RocksRemarkable Rocks
Remarkable Rocks

Arent they Remarkable!
Remarkable RocksRemarkable Rocks
Remarkable Rocks

Aint I strong!


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb