Innamincka and the Dig Tree


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Innamincka
July 10th 2006
Published: August 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 - Innamincka and the Dig Tree

We started the day off with another BBQ of patties and sausages. We travelled along the remainder of the Bore Track and came across a few oil and gas pumping stations. Its pretty amazing that they are just in the middle of nowhere and you can just walk (or drive) up to them and have a look about.

We then headed towards the Dig Tree, made famous by the explorers Bourke and Wills who missed their fellow campers by half a day after trekking from central Australia up to Queensland. More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_and_Wills_expedition

Esther & I kept thinking "what dig tree?" we thought there wasn't a tree that said DIG, more a couple of trees with a few scratches in them... however Luke and Robin insisted that there was a Dig treeā€¦

We headed back towards Innamincka and were going about 70km/h when we came across some rubbernecks (4wd drivers who take their shiny new 4wd's at about 30km/h throughout the outback) who soon enough got on the two way radio and were abusing us for our fast driving... needless to say Luke had a field day and soon got on the radio and pretended to be in the campervan following us, explaining how he has a short wheel base and its a bit of a rough ride. The rubbernecks were quick to praise us saying we were doing it in style... I think they just wanted someone to talk to.

We then drove to Innamincka and went across the creek crossing. There was actually quite a bit of water flowing through the creek, although it was ice cold! I walked across the crossing bare-foot and my feet were frozen by the time I reached the other side. We then had our first shower of the trip and filled up at $1.70/l for diesel. We then went along the Cordillo track and saw the Wills memorial a few km out of Innamincka. We travelled for about another hour before making camp somewhere between Innamincka and Moomba.

We found a dead cow and Matt had great delight in making its hoof move, whilst Esther took the backbone as a souvenir.


Distance today: 249 km
Total distance: 1369 km



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Gibber plainsGibber plains
Gibber plains

Lots of rocks....
Cows backboneCows backbone
Cows backbone

Great find!


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb