Frankston to Hawker


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Greenock
January 20th 2014
Published: January 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Monday 13th

We clear up the van and pack away our things before setting off for St. Kilda, a Melbourne suburb, to check into our apartment for the next few days. The drive goes smoothly although we find parking up a problem.

Luckily the agents let us move in early and we unpack the van into the apartment. We seem to have more things than we started with !

We then drive through he centre of Melbourne and give the van back. After a shaky start, we’re sorry to see it go !

We walk back into the centre of Melbourne and call into Tourist info for ideas for the next couple of days. We then walk around China town although it’s not that interesting before catching the train back to Windsor, the nearest station to us. It’s a fairly tacky area.

Back at the apartment I get chance to tune into the Australian Open on Tv.

Tuesday 14th

We catch the train into Melbourne city centre and then pick up tram round to Melbourne Gaol, Melbourne’s big attraction. It’s a large gaol and set out with info in every cell of early 1900’s criminals. It’s a grim place.

We then pop round to the Court House where all trials took place until the 1970’s. We reinact the trial of Ned Kelly and I get to play the chief prosecution witness, PC Mackintyre. It’s good fun but I don’t think I’ll be taking up acting too soon !

We go back to Federation Square and pick up our tickets for tomorrows visit to the Australian Open. Unlike Wimbledon they still have tickets available for most days.

We then catch the tram down to the Docks where it’s supposed to have been redeveloped but we can’t find anything finished and it’s a wasted trip.

We go back to Federation Square and sit in the shade and watch some of the tennis on a big screen.

We experience a new problem today, Melbourne’s got a heatwave and the temperature’s over 40 in the shade. On the pavement it’s much hotter.

Everyone’s lazing around in the shade and we decide to catch the train back to our apartment to get out of the heat. It’s 35 indoors ! Still no complaints after all the cool weather.

Wednesday 15th

Up early this morning and catch the train into the city and the free tram out to Melbourne Park to the Australian Open. We arrive and there’s hardly anyone there and we get to be almost first in. Nothing like the ques at Wimbledon.

We decide to sit on Court 2 and watch two good mens singles matches in very hot weather, over 40 ! We then have a wander around and catch the end of a mens doubles match.

We‘ve taken plenty of drink with us but eventually run out late in the afternoon.

Finally we go into the Margaret Court Arena and watch a night match and leave at 8.45 just before the end.

We’re very hot, grubby and hungry. We pick up a pizza on the way back and rush into the shower while it’s heating up.

It’s still over 35 outside at 10.30.

Thursday 17th

Another blistering hot day as we get up and the temperature quickly rises to 40. We catch the train to Richmond and then it’s a short walk to the MCG ground where we take a tour. It’s a fantastic stadium and we get shown all round. The guide’s pretty good and only pulls our leg a few times about the recent Test results !

The stadium is opposite the tennis arena and we catch the free tennis tram back into the city. We start to walk around the shops but it’s just too hot for walking so we stop at a nice little Italian restaurant and have a leisurely lunch. We then try to walk around again but it’s exhausting and we take shelter in a building in Federation Square and watch some of the tennis until play is stopped from 2 till 6 because of the heat.

Finally we catch the tram round to Elizabeth Street and pick up our rental car which I drive very cautiously through the city centre back to the apartment.

In the evening we pack our bags ready for leaving.

Friday 18th

A late start to miss the traffic as we drive into the city centre and take the road out towards Torquay and the start of the Great Ocean Road. It’s a good day to be in an air conditioned car with the temperature over 40 again.

The car’s much easier to drive than the van once I sort out which foot to use on the brake.

We make several stops to take in the view but to be honest it’s nice but not stunning. We stop at Aireys Inlet and walk to the Split Point Lighthouse. We get back to the car as quickly as possible to get out of the sun.

We then stop at the Great Ocean Road Memorial Arch dedicated to the WW1 returning soldiers who built the road. We make a quick change in the car park into our swimmies and cool off in the sea before continuing to Cape Pattern view point.

Finally we arrive at Apollo Bay and find a motel for the night.

Saturday 18th

We wake to see grey clouds and a temperature of 19 !

We set off along the Grt Ocean Road and it’s all very ordinary. Eventually we turn off into Cape Otway NP to see the lighthouse. There are lots of people around but we all decline a visit up the lighthouse for £11 pp.

We set off again and the scenery is very similar to England with lots of green rolling hills. The road isn’t very close to the coast.

We arrive at Port Campbell NP and stop to look at the famous Twelve Apostles, but there are only about 8 or 9 left now. It’s a great example of limestone coast erosion.

We then continue to Loch Ard Gorge which is even more impressive. Huge limestone cliffs which are being eroded and show various rock bands.

Finally we stop at The Arch, London Bridge and Bay of Islands which are all various erosion features. It’s been the best section of the The Grt Ocean Road.

The roads very ordinary from there on and we stop off to pick up some food before arriving at our small cabin which is self catering for the night. Except it isn’t! Described as having cooking facilities we find it only has a microwave which isn’t much good for what we’ve bought for the evening. After a chat with the owner we get moved to another cabin, the only downside is that it has bunk beds !

Sunday 19th

Today is going to be a long day as we have to drive about 500 K to get half way towards the Flinders Ranges to make sure we get there by Tuesday lunch time.

The drive is pretty boring as we go through huge vineyards at first, Lindemans and Penfolds and then vast farming areas.We go through some strange places, Mount Gambier, except there’s no mountain or even a hill there !

We pass huge grain silos and flat open land. Time goes so slowly !

Eventually we arrive at Murray Bridge which is about our half way point and we stop for the night. We arrive at a Motel and ask to see a room but am refused until we book it ! I say I won’t book it until I see it ! A stand off until eventually the receptionist relents and we inspect the room and book in. We spend an hour round the pool relaxing until it’s time to shower and go out for dinner.

Monday 20th

We get away early, 9 ish, for another long drive. We again pass through huge corn fields and part of the Barossa Valley with enormous vineyards. One catches my eye, The Naked Run Winery !

The roads run alongside cornfields which stretch forever and there are often 2 foot diameter water pipes alongside.

The nearer we get to Hawker the higher the temperature rises and the soil starts to change to a redder colour.

Eventually we reach Hawker the gateway to the Outback and Flinders Ranges and a major tourist town, except it’s closed or seems to be as there’s not a soul about.

We find a Hotel/Motel for the night. It’s a cross between Hotel Californian and the Bates Motel ! It’s also the only place open. We also have to eat here tonight.

We drop off our bags and drive out to Jarvis Hill Lookout. First we buy some liquid gold, the dearest petrol in Australia !

The journey to the lookout is over a bone jarring 6K unsealed road. The final walk is a short but hot climb to the top. The views are wonderful over barren and red hot lands ! There’s a strange beauty to the bleakness and not a sound to be heard.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb