Bad weather - time for a scenic drive


Advertisement
Published: November 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Stokes HillStokes HillStokes Hill

Blowing a gale
This is the last of the Flinders series - a month later.

The title said it all - with the rain settling in on our visit to the Flinder's Ranges, we did some scenic driving through the Ranges including Stokes Hill Lookout, Bunyeroo Valley, Hucks lookout, the Geological trail and back to Blinman.

The wind was in full force on Stokes Hill - we almost were blown off! There is a neat contour map in bronze of the area at the lookout - so it is well worth the visit. The sign going up says no towing vehilces - but we saw several vans with trailers heading up regardless.

There was plenty of wildlife about - kangaroos and many flocks of emus. We had a running joke about the animals being planted there for the tourists, so every time we spotted more emus we would go "ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi".

The Bunyeroo track afforded us excellent views of the pound - particularly Hucks lookout (a weather photo perhaps???) The track proved a bit of a push for the Subaru - it is a bit low slung for all the creek crossings. Still, with Peter's expert
Geological trailGeological trailGeological trail

Red sandstone
driving skills we made it through. Most cars in this area were high 4-wd 'troupies' and I can understand why!

The track went down to the Geological trail - a great track that explains the different types of rocks that make up the Flinders - well worth a drive through (any car type would make it I think). There are signs along the way about the rocks and an information board at either end.

From here we took the bitumen to Parachilna and then across to Blinman.

So if you are ever caught in the Flinders on a rainy day - take a drive!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Hucks lookoutHucks lookout
Hucks lookout

with spindly tree
EmusEmus
Emus

ozzy ozzy ozzy oy oy oy


7th December 2005

Thank you very much for your travelblog. We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New-Year.
21st December 2005

Hi Tiny
Thanks for your comment - we hope you and Peter have a great Christmas and happy new year as well. Are you staying ho ho home for the holidays? from Dan

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb