On The Move Again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
May 11th 2011
Published: May 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Port Willunga SunsetPort Willunga SunsetPort Willunga Sunset

Shot taken across the wreck of "The Star Of Greece" on Port Willunga beach.
Tis us again!

Well it’s now 10th May and we have sadly left McLaren Vale and said goodbye to our friends Alan, Justine and families. We had such a great time during the six or so weeks there.
The five days on Kangaroo Island were magic with daily trips to see the sights. The funniest moments happened at “Little Sahara” giant sand dunes, where Alan discovered that his arms do not stay in sync with his legs when running down steep slopes!! He did a nosedive into the sand as a result. His young grandson Cody met with the same fate, followed by a great impression of a seal (boo hoo).
We spent last Saturday night at “The Gov” in Adelaide, to celebrate Alan’s birthday and our leaving. Didn’t get home until 2.00am. Needless to say we were all a little slow on Sunday, especially Samantha.

In between, we had a lovely two weeks stay at home, after flying there for Easter. It was lovely catching up with family and friends. We had an entertaining night at the “Shogun” Japanese restaurant for Cass’s 30th birthday.

We left McLaren Vale yesterday (Mon) and travelled to Port Augusta where we
Haandorf - Hot Food?Haandorf - Hot Food?Haandorf - Hot Food?

Note the bottom of the sign - bottom left?
spent the night. We then headed for Coober Pedy this morning stopping, on the way, at Woomera where many tests were carried out on rockets and missiles developed by various nations from the mid fifties. Interestingly, we visited the Isle of Wight a few years ago and saw the top secret location where the engines The restricted area covers many thousands of hectares, all the way up to the edge of Coober Pedy. The military presence was quite obvious.

We arrived in Coober Pedy at 4.00pm and have booked a tour of the various Opal mining attractions, which include an underground church, motel and restaurant! Surprisingly, our caravan park is above ground??

I will update the blog a little more often, now we are back on the move again.

Next stop is Uluru (Ayres Rock), which we are really looking forward to.

Cheers all

John & Rose



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Heading for the centreHeading for the centre
Heading for the centre

Signpost at Port Augusta
Woomera StoreWoomera Store
Woomera Store

Mural on side of general store at Woomera Village
Early Space AgeEarly Space Age
Early Space Age

All types of missiles etc. at Woomera museum


11th May 2011
Port Willunga Sunset

Beautiful
What a great shot, save some for us.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb