Anzac Day and camping underground


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
April 25th 2006
Published: May 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Glendambo SignGlendambo SignGlendambo Sign

It's true, well perhaps not they are not telling the truth, there's more flies than this!!!!!
G' Day All
It’s Anzac Day when we leave Port Augusta; this is when the Diggers, (Veterans) march in memory of their fallen colleagues in all the wars Australia has played a part in. I didn't realise that Australia came quite so close to being invaded by Japan during the last years of WW. If it wasn't for the help of the Papua New Guineans the Japs may have broken through. Coming down under and seeing the War Memorials in both NZ and Australia makes me realise how many gave their lives so that we can live as we are now.

First stop on the way is Glendambo, for a top up of petrol. It has 30 people, and, well, see the sign for the rest of the information!!
Little in the way of scenery, scrub grass & some trees, lots of red soil or sand!!. Loads of road kill, which is interesting as we get the chance to see Wedge tailed eagles, These are BIG birds and they take some time get airborne, and they don't want to leave their feed, in consequence many get killed on the road edge.!!
We each drive for 2 hours at a
Coober Pedy SignCoober Pedy SignCoober Pedy Sign

These are blowers. used to transport the spoil to the surface of a mine, really a giant sucker, but you can't imagine an Aussie calling it that,
time, and Arnie's driving the last stint of just 160 km when there's a large kangaroo dead in the middle of the road. So intent are we looking at the body that we don't notice what else is on the road, we hear a knock and think we hit the exhaust, but it's no, it's a flat. Good job we checked the spare, it's a little soft but it'll get us to Coober Pedy.
Coober Pedy is a fascinating place, people living underground like moles!!, Lots of pipes and TV aerials signal that there are homes in the rocks in town and in the surrounding countryside!! Large mounds of earth and sand and rocks also surround the area, where the many miners are seeking their fortunes hoping to find the largest and most colourful opal. Opals with a red or dark fleck in it are the most valuable. The campsite we choose is Riba's, its 4 km out of the town, well away from any trouble and the "brothers!" It has underground campsites as well as underground cabins, included in the price of the first nights camping is a mine tour, 7 of us on the very informative tour and
Dangers in Coober PedyDangers in Coober PedyDangers in Coober Pedy

Not too many places have these danger signs!!
we all have a bash at divining for a fault, which is a likely place for opal to gather. Camping is lovely as underground the temp is a constant 24/25 degrees C, we don't need the fly sheet on, not going to rain down there!!! Just one small drawback with sleeping underground, every little sound seems to be magnified and echoes!! (First night there was a guy snoring, can't believer that any one else was asleep!!!)
We spent 2 full days here, visiting underground Churches, going in the large underground hotel and back packers. We visit an opal shop which more interesting than most as it has Blue Tongue lizards and Horny lizards as well as a large python and lots of spiders and scorpions. I get to hold the Blue tongue lizard and the lady is very informative about the lives of the lizards as well opals. Good to learn about opals without feeling pushed to purchase!
We go and visit Harry’s house, the home of a very excentric ex-croc hunter. Sadly Harry was in bed, he's not well, but he certainly seems to be character!!!
On the second day we go along the Oodnadatt Road, see the 5,600km
Divining for Opal FaultsDivining for Opal FaultsDivining for Opal Faults

Me, divining for faults, it really worked, both Arnie & I felt the strong pull of the rods as we passed the fault
Dog fence, which keeps the dingoes to the north. Then it's a left turn out to the Breakaways, and see the two hills known as Pepper and Salt or Two Dogs? This is also where Mad Max and some of Pricilla, Queen of the Highway were filmed.
Coober Pedy is a most fascinating place to visit, but it's time to leave, so it's an early start tomorrow, only about 780 km to Ayers Rock!!
Bye from one of the most fascinating places in Oz.
Maggie & Arnie








Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Giant MolehillsGiant Molehills
Giant Molehills

These surround the countryside of Coober Pedy, just like giant molehills!!
Mole HouseMole House
Mole House

"I'm a mole and I live in a hole," except that in the heat of the summer this is the coolest place to live.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Just the most fantastic sunsets over the desert surrounding Coober Pedy.
Dog FenceDog Fence
Dog Fence

This "dog fence" is the longest fence in the world, it keeps the dingos and cattle to the north and the sheep to the south!
Outside our tentOutside our tent
Outside our tent

Just to show that there was plenty of room and not at all claustrophobic!!
An idea of sizeAn idea of size
An idea of size

A lovely place to camp, cool in the day and warm at night.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb