Coober Pedy


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
January 17th 2006
Saved: July 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

PriscillaPriscillaPriscilla

Around here they filmed the broken down bus scenes for Priscilla...
Completed our journey to the magnificently named Coober Pedy. When this name first came up I was sure that it sounded familiar but couldn’t figure out why until C reminded me that it figured prominently in the film Priscilla Queen Of The Desert. Remembering the movie character of the town as a tough talking no nonsense mining type of place I immediately adopted a deep baritone speaking voice and refused to do any bag carrying. I needn’t have worried because there was no evidence that I would be attacked for simply looking at someone the wrong way, though the number of unkempt aboriginals hanging around on the streets did give some small though as it turned out unfounded cause for concern. We tried to book ourselves onto the mail run. No kidding, for AU$145 we could have spent 12 hours riding with the mailman as he did his outback rounds. For that sort of money though we would have needed legal rights to open the mail we were accompanying and auction anything of value found therein, material or intellectual, and that was never going to happen. We settled instead for a 4 hour tour of the town and outback at a far more affordable price. Guided by a genuine opal miner resident of the town, who resembled in appearance and manner John Lock of the TV series Lost, we…


The return journey took us across landscapes that I cannot adequately describe, but if you want to get an idea go to www.nasa.com and check out their Mars lander pics.



COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 23; qc: 108; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb