BREAKDOWN BY BORDERTOWN


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Bordertown
November 6th 2010
Published: November 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast we made our way back to Mt Gambier. We got the sat nav to take us to the shopping complex. When we arrived we found ourselves outside a laundrette and a pie shop - not exactly what I’d call a shopping complex. After looking round the other shops we had no luck finding a bike so set off again. We drove through the Coonawarra wine region which is miles of vines as far as the eye can see. Some of them produce many of the wines we would recognise at home., but since we were already carrying 5 litres of wine (well you have to be prepared!) we didn’t stop. We were heading for a free camp area called Poocher Swamp. It looked like a good bet in the book but when we arrived we realised that should have taken more notice of the name - it was a dried up swap with a mosquito problem - we turned round and drove off!

We drove to Bordertown and when we came across a shop called Trev’s Bargain Emporium we just couldn’t resist going in. We found nothing of any interest well unless you count a crazy local lady who wouldn’t stop talking to me… or herself! We decided to carry on towards Pinnaroo.

We knew we probably wouldn’t have enough time to make it to Pinnaroo before sundown so we planned to stop somewhere on the way. Driving at night can be dangerous due to Kangaroos bouncing over the road - not that we have seen one yet. As it was getting dark we found a parking area at the roadside and got out to stretch our legs. When we saw Termites on the ground and heard a massive swarm of wasps or bees we decided that maybe we should move on. Hilda however had other plans. When Andy turned the ignition key nothing happened. With failing light we hurried to arrange everything inside so could get to the engine, but with the engine still being so hot there was nothing we could do. We had to spend the night here after all. We got ourselves organized in record breaking time and closed the door on the spooky swarming noise that sounded like something out of a old horror movie. We sat for a while feeling a little hard done by and then decided there was nothing else for it and cracked open the wine. As it turned out we had quite a nice night. We chatted the night away discussing what could be wrong with Hilda and what we would so if we couldn’t fix her. Having no phone signal meant that we would have to pull over a passer by and ask for help, but this all seamed part of the adventure! All things pointed to the starter motor again, this would be unlucky having just had a new one fitted but at least it was under guarantee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb