On the Road Again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Barossa Valley
March 16th 2010
Published: March 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We picked up our home for the next 3 weeks - which looks to be in slightly better condition than the previous one, although John’s having trouble finding reverse. We were hoping that we could return it early as we’ve been told that it will be really difficult for us to find anywhere to camp over the Easter period - which is when we’re due to be in Sydney. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get any rebate, so it looks like we’re stuck with the van - and me worrying where we’re going to sleep!!

After stocking up with food from a supermarket, we had a quick look round Adelaide. The covered Central Market is really impressive, and we wished we hadn’t already bought our veg. There’s also a great food court, with all sorts of Asian food, which was brilliant for our lunch. Adelaide certainly has some impressive (and dare I say, old) buildings, with lots of green space and tree-lined streets. It also has some impressive cricket grounds, so John tells me,
after looking enviously at the Adelaide Oval and University Ovals.

We then took off for the Barossa Valley, and were soon driving in a most well-tended area of vineyards. We saw the most wonderful road sign, something along the lines of North Adelaide, Barossa Valley, Outback. We drove through a town called Gawler, which had us astonished at how old and quaint the buildings looked - definitely seeing a change between WA and SA! Unfortunately, we didn’t get photos as we couldn’t find anywhere to stop, so you’ll have to trust us on this one ... we had planned to go back, but that never happens does it?!

Luckily we found a winery that was still offering tastings after 4.30pm, so we stopped and had a wonderful hour trying a variety of wines and ports. I can’t say I was terribly impressed with their chocolate liqueur or their oaked whites, but everything else was jolly tasty. I did have a little trouble keeping a straight face when the young lass described one wine as ‘blonk de blonks’ ... Valerie - you would have had a really pained look!!

Onward to find somewhere to camp for the night - driving along we came to the Riverland quarantine area for fruit flies, demanding that anyone entering has to ditch all their fruit and veg ... that we’d only bought this morning, so we turned round. We did get our first sight of ‘the Outback’, coming over the hills and suddenly hitting a completely flat plain that goes on endlessly (even more than Lincolnshire!)

One amazing sight was when a huge flock of pink parrots flying in the light of the dying sun - they looked glorious as they swooped all around us, reminiscent of the swarms of tropical fish when we were out snorkelling. However, it looks like we’re spending the night on a road rest area - not the greatest place to stop, but hey!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb