To the Barossa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Barossa Valley » Nuriootpa
December 18th 2008
Published: December 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Woomera is....well, weird! The Lonely Planet describes it as a "drab government town with an interesting Lions Club Aircraft and Missile Park". Drab it is, interesting isn't the best choice of word! It was more of a store room for any ind of junk that they could relate to the place. Outside there was an impressive collection of missiles and aircraft thing-ies but inside was terrible. Yes it had a vast collection of rocket memorabilia from the space rocket programmers and British Weapons testing but there was no text to explain what actually was going on and what it actually was. The best part, for me, was the rocks and minerals collection, where the "gold nugget" was actually a badly scrunched up piece of gold and silver foil. It gave us a laugh at the very least!

So, after wasting 15 minutes of our lives we decided to waste no more and get on our ay out of there! The drive again was pretty boring until just outside of Port Augusta where the stunning Red cliffs at the start of the Flinders Range gave us a beautiful view whilst we stretched our legs.

A brief stop at the tourist center confirmed our thoughts that there was nothing to do in Port Augusta so we headed off again. This time on a wonderfully scenic route thought the windy hills via Wilmington through to Melrose where a stop at the memorable next to Mt Remarkable gave us wonderful views of the town and hills.

We then drove through my town "Laura" shortly followed by Robbie's "Georgetown" and soon after we were in the Clare Valley wine region. It was getting late so we pooped into a place to get some cheese and cured sausage, yum, and just managed to sneak a peek at Sevenhill Cellars. This winery was established in 1851 by Jesuit priests mainly for communion wine but they make the god stuff too!

Last stop tonight is Nuriootpa where we park up, eat and head out to The Branch where we sample a good amount of the local produce (wine of course!) with an accomplishment of dips. Very nice indeed.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb