Great Scott!


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

JonquilsJonquilsJonquils

A feature of this walk were the spring fields of the fragrant jonquils.

Introduction



The hikers went to visit Scott Conservation Park this Sunday and had a very pleasant (albeit slightly muddy) 3 hour walk. We did a section of a large walk published in the walking guide 'Push the Bush' rather than some of our earlier visits to Scott.

While our earlier blogs about Scott were in full-blown spring - see Scott walk and Silver mine - this walk was a winter one - although you couldn't but help notice the first lot of flowers peeking through. It was an interesting trail that took in a few new areas for us - a creek walk, and making our way down a hand made road - as well as some familiar areas. Plenty of frogs (listen to the video).

It was sad to see the Mackereth cottage vandalised by fire - seems such a waste. The walk took in a few previously settled sites - partially cleared, sprouting with jonquils and even the odd Camellia bush! It was is such a good state for a bush that hadn't been tended for a very long time.

Dan says....




Hello readers,

It felt like this park was a new one for us as it looked so different from the last time we visited - especially with the jonquils and camellias out - they were pretty cool. When ever you revisit these places, you always see something new. The seasons make a big difference, as does the H2O (that is water by the way). As we walked on the paths we had to chose the driest parts - but it was pretty muddy everywhere. Dad keeps a big box for dirty shoes in the back of the car.

And now a joke ...


Q. What day do eggs hate the most?

A. Friday








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mackereth CottageMackereth Cottage
Mackereth Cottage

Burnt due to an arson attack since our last visit
Scott creekScott creek
Scott creek

Flowing well
Up the pathUp the path
Up the path

Peter and Dan coming up the path
Beautiful cameliasBeautiful camelias
Beautiful camelias

This area once had settlers - now their home plants survive without any attention
RegenerationRegeneration
Regeneration

Leaves appear from the burnt trunk of this tree
SundewSundew
Sundew

Flowering - carnivorous plant
Golden wattleGolden wattle
Golden wattle

Dan going in for a close look
Ant hillAnt hill
Ant hill

Cone shaped as partially washed away


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb