Cobbler Creek


Advertisement
Published: August 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Cobbler Creek


Wattle in bloomWattle in bloomWattle in bloom

The path on the hill top was covered with flowering wattles



Hello everyone from the hikers in SA!


With Dan being sick all last week with tonsillitis and ear infections, we chose a smallish walk for today. Dan is still coughing a bit (poor dear) however he is so much better than this time last week when he wouldn't even get out of bed.

A summary of the walk


We went to a very small park, situated between the suburbs of Salisbury and Golden Grove called Cobblers Creek. It was hardly our normal 'escape from suburbia' as through most of the walk we could here the noise of the traffic on The Grove Way, a major road that bisects the park. Peter complained often "where is the serenity?" and asserted that this would be the last time we visit this park!

The walk itself (the Porosa walkabout) was a wide and well labelled path that headed North and then east up a hill (allowing spectacular views out to the Gulf). It then went past large numbers of flowering wattles and a ruin before descending into a gully with a flowing creek.

The path followed the creek which was alive with frogs and birdlife (an obvious
Dan while he was sickDan while he was sickDan while he was sick

This is Dan when he had his fever. Trecko (the toy pokemon) toughed out the week in front of the DVD with him.
picnic spot). The creek ended in a large wall of rocks with pipes. We then rejoined the path we had taken in and was back to the car in no time. The whole walk, even with Dan having to stop and catch his breath (and cough) often, was about 2 hours.


Dan says ...




It was a nice walk.

Dad was a bit silly - he pretended to be a werewolf in the dark tunnel under the road.

We saw quite a few groups of people with their dogs on this walk.

We saw Nankeen Kestrels hunting (Nankeen Kestrels are birds that are able to hover in the air while they search for food like mice in the grass). learn more about Nankeen Kestrels here

The kookaburras laughed at us while we were eating our lunch by the creek. I said “we are not clowns”

Hey - by the way
Q: Where is the hottest place in the jungle?
A: Under the gorilla (griller)!!

The frogs were noisy.

Along the creek were lots of a nasty weed called “Artichokes” These weeds have lots of prickles and sting if you touch them. Learn more about this weed.

On the way back Dad spotted a white-faced heron flying. I saw it land.
See an encyclopaedia entry about this bird here

Until next time,

Dan






More information


While I was hunting for information about this park I came across a geocache site. Apparently hidden somewhere in this park (and many other places in the world) is a 'cache' - a waterproof container with treasures and a log book inside. People get the GPS coordinates of the cache and then have to find it on foot. When they find it, they are allowed to remove one treasure and replace it with another, as well as sign the log book. The treasure seekers (cachers) record their attempts and finds in an online log. What a fun-sounding sport!



More information about Geocache

The Geocache log file for the cache at Cobblers Creek

A friends page

Something we might try out later if we ever get a GPS.

Best wishes everyone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Top of the hillTop of the hill
Top of the hill

Looking into the houses of Golden Grove
Along the creekAlong the creek
Along the creek

Plenty of birds (parrots, kites, kookaburras) and frogs here!
The dam at the end of the creekThe dam at the end of the creek
The dam at the end of the creek

Nearby was the hill where they had obviously mined the rock from to make this rather large retaining wall.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb