Anstey Hill


Advertisement
Published: March 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Anstey Hill

via Grand Junction Riad to Tee Tree Gully

Park entrancePark entrancePark entrance

Gate 18 on Range Road South. To view as a slide show, select 'Full image' next to the image title, and then use Next> to scroll through the pictures.

Introduction


This week it was my turn to choose the location - and I chose a bushwalk at Anstey Hill Recreation Park. We used George Driscoll's walk number 13 as a guide (page 32) as although we have visited Anstey Hill before, we had not been on these particular tracks.

The park is located at the end of Grand Junction Road between North East Road and Lower North East Road. For this walk you need to go to the eastern side of the park - take LNE road and turn a sharp right on to Range Road South and pull up at gate 18.

The walk is suitable for young and old. The paths are wide and clear (which is a relief after losing the trail last week) - but there are some steep sections that will be a test for your fitness. You are rewarded with lovely views of the Adelaide plains, native plants (including amazing orchids in Spring) and plenty of serenity.

You can find out more about Anstey Hill at this informative web site which includes a map of the trails.

What happened



From gate 18 we walked down, passing the large green workshop on our left
Walk past workshedWalk past workshedWalk past workshed

Can you see Peter waiting at the gate?
on the Ridge top walk. We then continued down into the old quarry area where a small revegetation project was evident. We then stayed on this path (although Dan thought the path to the Silver mine would be much better) and walked to the Southern side of the hill for the decent. Recent rains had washed away some of the path making it suitable for walking only.

At the bottom of the hill you turn left and then follow the pipeline and the creek up the hill again (Water gully track). On the way up you find the ruins of Newman's nursery. Floods in 1913 forced the nursery to relocate to Lower North East road in 1925. There are many feral plants in this area.

Then it is on to Newman's track to return to the car park. We did this in about 2.5 hours with a luch break and explore at the ruins.

Dan says ...




Hello everyone,
I want to let everyone know that this walk is very easy and a good family walk. Anstey HIll was a very popular walk on Sunday - there were lots of people there.

When you see the picture of the bees on the yacca bush you might be thinking that Mum had a bee suit to take a photo so close- well actually she didn't. And she didn't get stung either as the bees were too interested in the nectar. Did you know that one of the chemicals inside a yacca bush is picric acid which is an explosive - and will explode near fire. Kabooom!!!!!!!
It needs these explosion to open the seed pods and spread them around. That is why you don't want to hang around when a bush fire is passing through yacca country.

Dad and I pretended to be William Finke (me) and John McDouall Stuart (Dad) as we walked along talking as if we were pioneers. Mum was Auld. (You do know that these people helped with the telegraph line from Adeliade to Darwin don't you?)

When I saw the palms at the ruins I had this song in my head - Funky town - as there are palms in Hollywood and Funky town is about Hollywood or 'Tinsel town'.

And now for the joke ...

Q: What do you call an overweight ET?
A: An extra cholesterol






Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Old quarryOld quarry
Old quarry

The quarry site has some tree plantings. This shot is taken at the lookout.
ViewsViews
Views

Anstey hill provides panoramic views of the Adelaide plains.
LookoutLookout
Lookout

Anstey hill lookout - a flowering yacca bush (or grass tree).
Bees enjoying yacca nectarBees enjoying yacca nectar
Bees enjoying yacca nectar

A close up of the flowering yacca (Xanthorrhoea semiplana) showing it as a popular choice for visiting bees.
Revegetation areaRevegetation area
Revegetation area

Dan at the bush that was planted by the "Friends of Anstey Hill" group
Ridge topRidge top
Ridge top

An easy walk before heading down a steep track.
Heading down on South side of hillHeading down on South side of hill
Heading down on South side of hill

Good views of Adelaide (where the Clipsal 500 car race was on).
Tree oozing resinTree oozing resin
Tree oozing resin

A favourite find of Dan's as he imagines it as almost amber.
Sheoak silhouetteSheoak silhouette
Sheoak silhouette

The needle leaves and cones of the sheoak against the sky.
Flowering yaccaFlowering yacca
Flowering yacca

Looking across a valley
More beesMore bees
More bees

on the yacca
CyclistsCyclists
Cyclists

Anstey Hill is a Recreation park so bicycle riders and people walking dogs are allowed. Can you see the pipeline across the valley?
Dan learns about the pipelineDan learns about the pipeline
Dan learns about the pipeline

And is promised welding lessons by Dad.
Follow the creekFollow the creek
Follow the creek

A steady uphill walk following the running creek.
Plenty of large butterflysPlenty of large butterflys
Plenty of large butterflys

Flittered around us along this walk.
TroughTrough
Trough

The old trough indicates you are not far from the ruins.


29th March 2006

good to see you!
Hi there it was great to see you at the airport and read about your walk The grass trees look marvellous in flower. How did the Birthday celebrations go?
30th March 2006

Hi there!!!
So nice to get this travelblog! Makes me want to jump on a plane and do some of these walks with you! What a beautifull country! Every thing is great down here. Since October 2005 I am the quality manager of the whole hospital!! Nice career move. Lots of love and a big kiss
11th August 2010

congratulations to Dan
hey Dan, loved your John McDouall Stuart stuff while you were walking. Very original. How did you know about Wm Finke? You can visit www.johnmcdouallstuart.org.au - but be patient as we are rebuilding the webstie after it mysteriously totally vanished. Cheers from Rick, President of the John McDouall Stuart Society

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb