Through to the Whitsundays


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
May 25th 2010
Published: May 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

From Moreton Bay to Mooloolaba (great name but not dissimilar to Fort Lauderdale ... huge houses packed on small lots along the canals) where we anchored in exceedingly skinny water and held our breath more than once as we manoeuvred. Next morning onto Lady Musgrave Island - an overnight passage of 210 nm. Lady Musgrave Island is an uninhabited coral cay in the Great Barrier Reef, one of the world’s greatest natural phenomenons and a World Heritage Listed Marine Park. The lagoon’s amazing colours and beauty are unsurpassed anywhere in the world, boasting an abundance of coral, fish and turtles.

14/5 a later start to coincide with high tide at the cut and to recover from our first nightwatch stint in a while. Several fishing boats enroute to Cape Capricorn, our next stop, on the tropic of Capricorn 23 degrees 30. Dolphins played at the bow which will never fail to entertain and delight. 330nm covered so far which gives us time to enjoy exploring the Whitsunday Islands. Gt Keppel Island reached by midday where we rowed ashore and collected shells and stretched the legs - totally necessary after being aboard. 16/5 To Pearl Bay - motorsailed as light air and overcast. Water temperature 75 degrees so not exactly warm yet, warmer as we head north, and surprisingly we haven't caught one fish despite new lures and two lines over throughout each day. Anchored in 13' of water and learned our first local tidal lesson - check the tables! Sat on the bottom for a while and relocated in the dark which is a ghastly activity. An early start for South Percy Island and again light winds. Strong current on arrival and 14' tides. 18/5 To Keswick Island, next to St Bees, a 70nm passage so an early start. Great breeze in the morning and sailed through an enormous anchoring zone where we counted 29 ships around us. In fact there were 89 in the area waiting to collect coal and transport to China according to our friends Bo and Viva, who have AIS aboard their Amel named Lorna.

19/5 Arrived at Whitehaven Beach... a definite "must-see" in the Whitsundays. The crystal clear waters and pristine silica sand of Whitehaven stretch over seven kilometres along Whitsunday Island , the largest of the 74 islands in the group. A two night stopover celebrating Walter's birthday and an evening spent with our friends Janet and Bill on S/V Airstream, along with french chocolate almond birthday cake - a definite must. A couple of great swims in the 'stinger suit' as a result of box jelly fish season not ending until June.
21/5 Walk/swim before leaving for Cid Harbour which is particularly beautiful and reminiscent of Maine - heavily wooded with evergreens and hilly. A particularly beautiful anchorage with a nesting pair of sea eagles adding the finishing touches to their nearby treetop nest. They passed with sticks throughout the day calling to each other periodically. Friday - International Date Night - movie and pizza!

22/5 Climbed the Whitsundays Peak at 434m and rowed around the anchorage. Met a travel journalist from London who mentioned the new PM in the UK which came as news to us. A little maintenance to be done so did touch up prep work to the varnish for when I do the next varnishingsession. 23/5 North to Butterfly Bay on Hook Island. A change of plan occurred when we gazed into a stunning fjord, Nara Inlet, to starboard and decided to stay for the night. Rowed ashore to view the aboriginal cave paintings and learn
Thousands of coils on the beach at WhitehavenThousands of coils on the beach at WhitehavenThousands of coils on the beach at Whitehaven

What forms this? A crab perhaps but whatever it is they are industrious little critters.
about their lives in the area. 24/5 To Butterfly Bay - again didn't actually stay as planned as the moorings were taken and by the time one became available we'd raised the dinghy and were on our way towards Gloucester Island (12 miles from Bowen on the mainland).

So far only two really excellent sailing days with 10-15 knots of wind, otherwise light.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Aerial view of coilAerial view of coil
Aerial view of coil

Each one forming in a clockwise direction which surprised us - anti or counter clockwise would have made more sense.


7th June 2010
Whitehaven Beach

Tigs ... there isn't a pocket there, numpty
Honestly Tigs, if you need somewhere to put your girl guide survival / first aid kit you should have worn a bigger costume
9th August 2011
Whitehaven Beach

Tracy - you look great!!
Pics looks great but how do I view the other 330+. Reading Wilbur Smith 'those in peril' about piracy and thought about you, then yesterday drove past Little Stretton so thought i'd google you and came across pics. Still living the dream.
17th July 2013
Whitehaven Beach

Completed the circle - SV Marnie
Hi David Just a quick note to let you know we have completed the circumnavigation and are home in Virginia Beach but still living aboard our boat until the weekend. It has been the experience of a lifetime and I miss the tranquility and sheer beauty we've seen. It's not all over as we will keep the boat and sail six months of the year and occupy our time with horses at other times. How is life in Wales? Have you had a busy few months traveling around the world with clients? Write with your news sailmarnie@gmail.com if you have a moment.
17th July 2013
Whitehaven Beach

Completed the circle - SV Marnie
Hi David Just a quick note to let you know we have completed the circumnavigation and are home in Virginia Beach but still living aboard our boat until the weekend. It has been the experience of a lifetime and I miss the tranquility and sheer beauty we've seen. It's not all over as we will keep the boat and sail six months of the year and occupy our time with horses at other times. How is life in Wales? Have you had a busy few months traveling around the world with clients? Write with your news sailmarnie@gmail.com if you have a moment.

Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb