Master and Commander


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
May 19th 2008
Published: August 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

All reunited and together again, the mood was positive and all were looking forward to the next adventure. For Lisa, Em and myself it meant a flight from Brisbane up the coast to Airlie Beach to catch our boat around the Whitsunday Islands. For Dunc it meant choosing which position in the garden he was to resume, trying to catch the most amount of rays. It was very extreme of him, but in end he chose the face down, park the bike option. Which the next door neighbour was very happy about as it gave him a new place to put his Harley.

We had quite a short turn around so the night was spent cleaning things, mainly the mound of clothes that the girls had brought back from Fraser. It took most of the evening and in between loads we opted for a full brush down as well. It was a group decision that they would hose Stuart down outside rather than to dirty the shower. The only person against it was Angus the dog claiming that it would dirty his lawn. Kerry and Shaun were the perfect hosts as per usual, allowing us to use the whole of their house.

The morning dawned with anticipation for our little hop, skip and jump up the coast. We were ably dropped off by Dunc to the airport and boarded the plane with no worries at all. That is if you discount the fact that Stuart and Emma got on the plane separately to Lisa and wondered if they would ever see her on the flight. With a massive gasp they caught a glimpse of Wheaters sauntering along through the door with not a care in her world (See it must be different at that altitude).

We arrived in Airlie beach at our digs for the next night, it was called Bush gardens. We were all in a dorm together which was pretty nice and clean. The whole complex was cool with a pool and resident parakeets. The town was a walk away so the hostel put on a complimentary bus into the centre every fifteen minutes. With our carcases empty we decided to go into town and scoot around the restaurants looking for some suitable tukka. We bumped into the crowd of guys that Em and Lis went to Fraser Island with and decided to meet up with them later in the evening.

There was an air of nautical nostalgia; we were about to adventure on the high seas. I felt like Captain Jack Sparrow with my fair lady maiden and the cabin boy (Sorry Lis). We may come across pirates, sunken treasure and the odd galleon but we would make sail and journey fair (No more sailing phrases I promise).

So later that evening we joined the ramble at a local bar and got into the swing of things with the whole group having a good few drinks, enjoying the night and mixing with the young folk.

Bright and early the next day and we were on the quayside inspecting our home for next couple of nights. It was called the “Derwent Hunter” an old coal ship that had been turned over the years from an investigative Antarctic vessel to a tourist shipping sloop. So with a group of ten visitors and three crew we sat down for our introductory chat. The crew consisted of three Kiwis’ or Kiwis rubbish as Shaun at taught us to say, Abbey, Logan and the skipper …. The ship was in good shape, with wooden decks brass other things. Anyway Lis gave it a good wash down as she had her tongue stuck on the floor gawping at Logan. We were shown to our cabin, “Compact and bijou” to be accurate, Lis was again sleeping on top of us. It meant that our sleeping arrangement from the van would not be broken, the chorus of trumping would continue nicely; with Lisa supplying the bass section and Em on bass baritone (They actually managed a full chorus of the Frog song one night).

We had a little wind in the day so after motorising out of the harbour we got to see the sheets, lending a hand along the way and cruised North through the islands, stopping to eat lunch. The food was fantastic, with enormous portions and cooked well. A bit of mingle ling was done with the other guests; well Stuart did his usual and interacted while the wicked step sisters sat in corner by themselves. I must add that the group we had were very nice as people but I have had more excitement from opening a Mars bar wrapper and finding that I have not won a free shopping experience with Lesley Joseph (Gee whiz I hate that women).

The group did not spoil our entertainment at all and as we had a snorkelling trip organised we had to don the fantastical stinger suits. Now not many people look good in full length garments, maybe Claudia Shiffer in a Chanel gown would draw a look, but the three of us entering the water must have made the fish literally wet themselves (Which is not easy for a fish). Please have a look at the photos and take special note of our cabin boy friend with the protective headwear. I must say that if you have any heart complaint or maybe a weak bladder (i.e. accidents when you cough or laugh - Jenny Pie) please be careful when viewing the photo as you may lose any from of decorum, perhaps it is the funniest thing I have ever seen, I am still laughing about it now and I don’t even have the photo in front of me. It was nearly as funny as when Dunc wore an undersized pair of cricket trousers with I love boys underwear on.

The reef wall was an abundance of marine life with tropical fish everywhere, parrot fish, wrasse and many other varieties with one thing in common, they were all still laughing at us in the stinger suits…..No no, they were beautiful. After warming up with tea and cakes we set sail for Whitehaven beach where we would drop anchor for the night. We had a fantastic little crudities bites on the beach while watching the sunset and sinking a few cold ones. The buffet for the evening meal was great and it gave us the perfect opportunity to have some more beer on deck while chilling out and having a giggle. We hit the hay and I drifted off to sleep with the gentle noise of lapping water onto the boat and the Cardiff brass band bass section above me and to the left.

We were up early to the smell of fresh coffee, the promise of a walk along one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and the sun burning the horizon with its claret nectar. Not a bad start to the day. We sailed into the channel, got off into the dingy and then landed in Whitehaven Beach. After walking to the headland to take photos we scooted down to the beach and sampled some of the beauty we had just gawped at. It is truly a great place; no postcard will prepare you for the colours or topography. To while away the arvo we frolicked in the sea and had a bit of beach cricket action. All you could hear Smith saying while on the way back to the boat was that it was not his wicket, cheap excuses man!!!

Back on the boat for some lunch and into another snorkelling haven. It sometimes blows your mind the amount of fish that are in the sea, this is especially the case when you surf the South Wales coastline often. The place was teaming with them. Not to break a newly acquired cycle when we got back aboard the “Derwent” and devoured a plateful following up with a few sherbets. As the crew were experienced sea mariners they thought that they would enhance our knowledge with a bit of a star gazing master class. This was to be led by Logan, Em and I could inform you about the Southern Cross or maybe a planet or two. Lisa could only tell you what tattoos Logan sported and how in the middle of a pitch black chat on the bow of the ship she thought that it was a good idea to take a photo popping the flash and blinding the poor lad. Well they say that love is blind, don’t they.

Our final day on the boat was to start with an early morning dip in the water and perhaps the most exotic. We headed for a place called Blue Pearl Bay, it was around the other side of the island which meant it was protected by the increase of wind that we had. This was the best of the three sights with the experience only being described as being shrunk and stuck into a tropical fish tank, a bit like Scuba Steve.

We then turned the vessel around and headed back to port, this was all achieved with sail power. The boat was bouncing over the waves at a speed of 12 knots and the three of us were stood on the bow trying to re-enact the scene in titanic. No-one would agree to Kate Winslet, it was embarrassing.

We mooched into the harbour with beaming smiles after a great trip. It was sedate at times but we brought the energy that the group needed, the oldies ruled. Rock on the quo!!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb