Townsville/Magnetic Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
July 28th 2006
Published: August 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Magnetic Island - Kiera CookingMagnetic Island - Kiera CookingMagnetic Island - Kiera Cooking

Kiera cooks toast on the fire for her dad.
Hello! Have just spent a fantastic few days on Magnetic Island and you can see why they call it "magic Maggie" - it is really lovely. Unfortunately they are building everywhere and you wonder how much longer it will remain nice. We've been staying at a place called the Koala Bungalows which is a nice campsite and we even had a champagne breakfast with the Koalas! Kiera did not get to hold one as she is too small so she was a bit disappointed, but she did get to stroke them, touch a baby crocodile, a python and cook her dad some toast on the open fire, so I think that was enough excitement for a little girl in one day. We have been driving around the island to the various beaches, all of which are lovely and different in their own way. We spent a fantastic day at Picnic Bay (funnily enough, having a picnic!!) and at the time I was reading the International Express (with all the news from UK) and there was a picture of Brighton beach and you couldn't see an inch of sand; it was a bit of a contrast to the beach we were sitting on with 4 other people on it. It brings it home that it is not that we haven't got the beautiful places in UK, its that we have so many people crammed in.
During our stay we also met a lovely english lady called Floss, originally from Leeds and now living on Magnetic Island who invited us to a great party at her house in honour of the visit of her daughter Nova, daughter in law Jane and granddaughter Mackenzie who have all arrived on holiday. Fantastic party and thanks for making us so welcome! We hope to catch up with Nova again as she lives in Sydney.
Before we went to Magnetic Island, we spent a couple of days in Townsville which has changed completely since I went there in 1992. They have redeveloped all the foreshore and again made fantastic play parks, water parks etc and a great rock pool at the end to swim in. Kiera had a great time until the inevitable slip and banging her head - why always her?? She was fine though but wouldn't go back in......
We didn't really like Townsville although I couldn't tell you why. It was the one place
Rush Hour!Rush Hour!Rush Hour!

Friday afternoon rush hour on the Great Inland Way...
I didn't like last time I came and still don't. Anyway, we are setting off for the Whitsunday Islands and hoping to get out to the Great Barrier Reef. Hope you are all well and will write again soon. Take Care xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Undara Lava TubesThe Undara Lava Tubes
The Undara Lava Tubes

Entrance to one of the tubes.
TownsvilleTownsville
Townsville

The water park on the Esplanade.
TownsvilleTownsville
Townsville

The Rock pool at the end of the Esplanade.
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

Picnic Bay
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

On the Beach at Horseshoe Bay
Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

Florence Bay
Our little Local.Our little Local.
Our little Local.

Kiera in the camper.


Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb