Port Douglas and Cape Tribulation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
September 13th 2009
Published: September 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On our third day in Cairns, we got up in the mornin to meet one of our new friends for brekky, which was delicious and much needed. Then we caught a cab to the airport to rent our car and start our roadtrip! Erin had to take the car out of the lot since she was the primary driver and that was very stressful but hilarious at the same time. They drive on the opposite side of the road here, and that shouldn't be a problem since Erin drove in Ireland and at the Nissan test track before and Jessa drove in New Zealand last Christmas. Plus we got a lil Nissan Tiida, we all know Erin's experience with that. The biggest problem seems to be remembering what side the turn signal is on, Erin keeps wipin the windshield instead...she blames the Vibe.

The drive up is probably the prettiest stretch of road in the world. At least that we have come across so far. The road hugs the coast most of the way and the water is the most vibrant turquoise blue we have ever seen, framed by creamy white sand beaches and green tropical palms. Stops are made at lookouts along the way with the windows down, music blarin and singin along, enjoying life until we get to the sugar cane fields... smells of rotting sugar baking in the sun. BLAH! But beautiful none the less.

We get to the Daintree Ferry crossing, which you drive onto and it takes about 5 minutes to get to the other side. The road completely changes at this point to twisty turney forest lanes, and the tempature drops considerably. We are on the lookout for the big flightless cassowary birds but luckily don't see one. They are the US's version of deer- they can put a pretty dent in your car when they run out onto the road.

About an hour north of the ferry we come to our hostel- the Cape Trib Beach House. It's pretty much set up like a girl scout camp- bath house, lots of cabins that have bunkbeds, a kitchen house, all along a path that leads to the bar/internet/pool table/ restaurant pavilion that is steps from the beach. We head straight down to check out the beach, which we are the only ones on! Shots are snapped, toes are dipped, and it's to the restaurant for a shared pasta dinner. It's more expensive than we want to pay- that goes for everything but lodging up in Cape Trib so we decide we need to go to the market the next day to load up and spend our cash wisely.

Here is the good story of the day: we decide after dinner to watch an episode of the TV show 'Heros,' which we downloaded to Erin's computer thanks to Ursula. We are on episode 2. WORST IDEA EVER!!!! We are the only ones in our cabin, and we start this show pretty late. 'Heros' is more gruesome and creepy than we realize, and when it gets over around midnite we have to walk outside to the bath house. Needless to say, every shadow from our headlamps and any bump coming from the forest freaks us out- now we really feel like we are in girl scout camp. We are the only ones up at this hour and as we are in the middle of our showers the lights go out. AWESOME.... just what two girls with overactive imaginations after watching Heroes need. We finish our showers in the pitch dark and have to walk outside to turn on the motion censored lights. As we are walking back in to the bath house we notice a huuuuuge spider blocking our path. Welcome to the jungle!!! That put a very interesting end to a beautiful day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



13th September 2009

unicorn roundup
How long did you two horse lovers look for the unicorn???
15th September 2009

Stunning beach shot.
Picture 360 from Erin's camera is jaw-dropping. Ohhh, the beach life. -Uncle Doug

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb