Last Day in 'Brownsville'


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Townsville
December 10th 2006
Published: December 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we were up early for a very special breakfast at Bungalow Bay Koala Village on Magnetic Island.

This is a very special breakfast that only takes place a few times a month serving: Champagne (well it would be rude not to!), local tropical fruit, bacon, sausages, egg, barramundi, pancakes... well the list goes on, as the good backpackers we are (feeling more and more like skint students every day!) we filled our faces!

While doing so, the rangers brought round a 2 year old salt water crocodile to stroke, a 2 metre carpet python and a koala all whilst being surrounded by lizards, a very friendly cockatoo and a rock wallaby.

Then came the best bit, the chance to hold a Koala - this is something that I had been waiting to do since a child, the excitement was killing me!

So there we were (all girls, no men were interested in hugging this quite cuddly creature) being given a full briefing on how to hold it, because if you move at all it will bite you, if you hug it too tightly its likely to dig its 2inch nails into your skin... basically the excitement was starting to wane!

The photo will follow shortly, but let me tell you it was well worth it, it was a fantasic 20 seconds of being terrified and exhilerated all at once.

Following this we headed across the water back to the main land of Townsville to later catch our flight to Brisbane.

With quite a few hours to kill we wondered around trying to decide what to do in this sleepy town (that could easily twin with Bracknell!), then discovered that the new James Bond movie was on, great, a nice dry place out of the continuous rain we've had and a nice rest from carrying our backpacks. I wont ruin the outcome of the movie, but we definately recommend it.

Before catching a cab back to the airport we stumbled upon the local strong man competition. It was in the middle of the high street and was really funny - mainly just local meat heads trying to impress their wives and girlfriends in a bench pressing and squat thrust sesh. Once the guys were knocked out of the competition, they didn't seem to care much and one by one were heading off to the pub to console themselves rather than watch the remaining competitors!

We are now sitting in the Executive lounge for Quantas in the airport writting this log! Don't ask how Dan does it, but as he passes my my free cup of tea and I type on our free internet access, I cant help but keep giggling to myself!!

Advertisement



10th December 2006

G'Day Shelia’s
Guys, how the hell do you manage it!!!!! You’re supposed to be roughing it. The Ritz, Raffles and now the exec lounge? Clare did you manage to get one of those crocs made into a bag? And a pair of Cox’s for Dan ?
15th December 2006

Cheeky bear
I am envious of you both because I would love to be in Aus again but thanks for keeping us informed. I was just going say the koala did appear to have wandering hands. Keep travelling this way.

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0865s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb