First Steps


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sunshine Coast » Coolum Beach
March 25th 2011
Published: March 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well, we are making progress! We arrived from Auckland on Tuesday 22nd and took SunAir up to National Storage at Coolum, arrivng about noon. All according to plan.

Then car wouldn't start! Both batteries down to about 4 volts. Wrestled the generator out, started it (hooray) and clipped to terminals. Left it for 15 mins and then tried car. No go. Gave it another period, still no go. Gave up and rang RACQ. Not bad for having been in Aust less than 1/2 a day. Much shaking of head (his) while he explained that car batteries do not like not being used and that one was definitely stuffed, and the other suspect as it was only taking a 6 or 7 amp charge. Bit the bullet and new battery.

Tyres etc on both car and caravan were good and everything else seemed good. We had covered the caravan tyes with $2 bags to keep them out of the sun, and all of them had perished!

Hitched up successfully and travelled about 5 km to Coolum Beach Caravan Park - right on the beach.

Very stressful as temperatures up around 35 deg. Backed in to site OK and hitched up to water, power and drainage. Water & drainage OK, but no power!! Caravan battery also flat so no lights! Gas worked to frig started getting cold and stove worked.

Plugged hair dryer into power pole. Worked. Plugged into caravan end of extension lead Worked. Plugged into socket inside caravan ((1/2 a meter from inlet) Didn't go. Dark by now and still 35deg. Bugger

Gave up and went out to tea and stayed night in an airconditioned motel. Still about 30deg in the morning.

After talking with Ken Bunny and we discussed problem, realised that circuit breaker had no power to it, and its the first port of call for power after the socket on the outside wall. So checked the socket on the wall Tested OK and looked good. So changed the extension cord (Thanks Chris for having two) and light everwhere!! Phew.

Next was the phone shop where we got a modem for the netbook and a new 3G phone for the outback. Kept the old number 0 438 728843 ( also works as 0 GET PATTIE) and email hasn't changed don@dph.co.nz or pattie@dph.co.nz.

On Thursday long walk along Coolum Beach. Then to Buderim Ginger and down to Brisbane. Ran into Sandy Logan at Chermside. Some achievement as Chermside is or was australian shopping centre. Then to Vicky and Dawson Howards to collect a card for the post office. Found to our surprise that Janet Gawith had despatched the case of wine that we had asked for. Thought it had all got too hard. Woopee. Then met Vicky and Dawson for dinner and settled arrangements for them to take over the car and caravan in Alice Springs in July. Back to Coolum

On Friday, went to Noosa to pick up new cedit card. B... Westpac card services refused to release it as I did not file an Australian tax return. Spent ages there but Jenny at Westpac can't overrule the card issuing idiot. But maybe her boss can. But boss away until Monday.

More shopping and bits and pieces for caravan.

Gosh - and to think we used to be able to pack and travel in five minutes.

Car to be serviced on Monday, caravan on Tuesday and hopefully a credit card and we;ll be on our way. No photos yet . Will update again in a few days.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb